AD30 TC HT fuse blown....why?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

sunnee

Post by sunnee » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:32 pm

Last night I left the the amp on standby for a long time, probably about one hour. when I came back to play, the orange light on the top was on, the tubes were glowing, but no sound. I unplugged the unit, and checked the Ht fuse- it was blown (no filament was even visible!). It was replaced, and everything came back.

Does this imply that there's a problem with the amp? I run the amp via a pretty highly rated surge suppressor, and always startup with standby on, and shut down with power first, then standby about a minute later.....

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:10 am

Not necessarily. In my experience, sometimes it just happens. Maybe someone with some more technical wisdom can explain. Wouldn't worry about it too much, just carry around some spare fuses.

Don't tell me the best way, just tell me the cheapest way...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:16 pm

Replace it. If it blows again i'd say you have a shorted power tube.

Those EL-84's can get rather hot closed up in the amp like that, and they're not the most rugged tubes. It could just be a concidence that a tube shorted out at that point in time.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

MissyWhoopass
Rocker

Post by MissyWhoopass » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:21 pm

I don't know if HEAT caused your blown fuse, but it's certainly a possibility. Being an electronics Engineer myself, I know that sometimes corporate financial pressures force completely unrealistic development schedules and sometimes result in problems that should never have gotten "out the door". Hopefully the "over-heating" issue with AD30 heads, is not endemic to the series, but related to individual usage cases. Time will tell (being a brand-new model).

I recently got an AD30HTC and I've found it gets quite warm after playing it a while. In general, heat is ENEMY of electronics and can lead to failure. I am certain ORange has done (at least some) testing to verify the service life of these amps under "normal" playing conditions. That being said, the weather in the U.K. tends to be a bit cooler than ALOT of other places in the world. I keep a fan (just a plain-old room fan) blowning LOW on my AD30 head when ever I'm using it. I have been thinking about rigging up a small "box-fan" that I could hang off the back of the head from the lifting handle to blow into the back of the amp. That would provide cooling without modifying the amp (thus preserving the warranty).

~{:o)
~{:o)

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:38 pm

The AD series isn't brand new - they have been around since '98 / '99 I believe. (The rockerverb amps are new). So far the only AD reliability issue I'm aware of has been where a batch of relays were causing channel switching problems - easily enough fixed.

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

Air Norton

Post by Air Norton » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:53 pm

There may also have been a little tension overload by the electric implant in your room...

Vincenzo...an italian noiser!! ;-))
Why should I make you sing when I can make you cry?