Orange Impedance

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

stevvooe

Post by stevvooe » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:00 pm

I was wondering why orange had the 16ohm main output as opposed to an 8 ohm output. If money was not a factor, which cabinet impedance would be best- 16 or 8?

Does it make a difference in the volume or tone?

Just curious about anyones thoughts on this.

-Steve

Clever Escape -http://www.mm-hmm.com/cleverescape
"I know everything" -me
-Steve

Clever Escape -http://www.purevolume.com/cleverescape
"I know everything" -me

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:45 am

No difference that I know of. I could be wrong! As far as I know, it doesn't matter as long as you match the impedance. The AD series can take a 16 or 8 ohm cab...

Don't tell me the best way, just tell me the cheapest way...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Kurb2004
Tiny Terror

Post by Kurb2004 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:54 am

A normal Orange 4x12 is16 ohm. If you add 2 16ohm cabs it is therefor 8 ohms. You will get a much broader fatter sound thus giving more volume.

Kev

www.kurb.org

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:16 am

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>A normal Orange 4x12 is16 ohm. If you add 2 16ohm cabs it is therefor 8 ohms. You will get a much broader fatter sound thus giving more volume.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>Thats dead right, though it's because of the extra cab, not running the different impedance. Basically you want a 16 ohm cab with the Oranges as it would allow you to add another one. If you use an 8 ohm cab, that's your lot - you can only use the one. And if you have a combo with internal speakers set for 16 ohms then you must use another 16 ohm one if you are to use a cab at all.
About sound differences running (properly matched) at 16 ohms or 8 ohms - virtually none at all. (Okay, there might be a slight advantage to running a 16 ohm cab compared to an 8 ohm one). But in a valve amp the output transformer is designed with the ability to run either, giving the full rated output into either. As long as you select the right impedance for the cab(s) that is. It's transistor amps that will give different power outputs into different impedances, but are able to do so safely within the recommended range.

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

stevvooe

Post by stevvooe » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:19 pm

Ah, andy my friend, you gave the answer I was looking for. Its that work with subwoofers in my car that gets me thinking about whether those lower ohms will give me more output.

But you say there is a slight advantage to running the 16 ohm one, but your post was unclear. Was that b/c you can run two cabs or are there other slight advantages?

-Steve

Clever Escape -http://www.mm-hmm.com/cleverescape
"I know everything" -me
-Steve

Clever Escape -http://www.purevolume.com/cleverescape
"I know everything" -me

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:49 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>But you say there is a slight advantage to running the 16 ohm one, but your post was unclear. Was that b/c you can run two cabs or are there other slight advantages?<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>Mainly for the versatility really! But I have a feeling that given the choice there <i>may</i> be a <i>slight</i> advantage to using the higher impedance. I suppose it's using the whole of the secondary coil of the output transformer (I think) rather then just using a section of it tapped for the lower impedance. But as I say I think the sonic difference would probably be really very small.

Valve amps and solid state amps are really pretty different, so your Orange and your car stereo have about as much in common as a DC3 Dakota, and an Airbus. Both fly, but that's about it. The Dakota and Orange have loads more character though...

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.