Effects Loop

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Asphalt Jungle
Rocker

Post by Asphalt Jungle » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:26 pm

Hello all!

First time poster. I've had my brand new Rockerverb 50 for 2 days now, and I have a question concerning the effects loop.

My previous rig is a Rocktron Velocity 150 amp and a Rocktron Chameleon preamp effects unit ran through a 4x12 cabinet.

Being the complete electronics noob that I am, I am wondering if it is possible to run the preamp through the effects loop. (It seems like a contradiction running the preamp after the amp.) Any help/advice is appreciated.

My dilemma is that I have a gig next weekend, and I really need the delay and tremelo effects for a handful of tunes that we cover. The rest of the music can be covered quite well with this sweet mother-of-tone amplifier that is the Rockerverb 50. I am tempted to just go buy some Boss stomp boxes to handle the effects, but wanted to get some advice/ideas before I dropped more money on the stomp boxes.

Thanks!!

Steve

"This cat rocks!"

bgarrett_uk
Orange Master

Post by bgarrett_uk » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:25 pm

I run a Rocktron Xpression in the FX loop of the RV50H. I had quick look at teh Chameleon manual - looks to me like you could plug this into the FX send/return via the unbalanced jacks.

Didn't read all the manual - but would be good idea to be able to bypass the Chameleon somehow (loop or switcher) - also if you can disable the preamp and just use the delays would keep as much of the Orange tone as you can.
Cheers
Brian

Asphalt Jungle
Rocker

Post by Asphalt Jungle » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:52 pm

<i>"Didn't read all the manual - but would be good idea to be able to bypass the Chameleon somehow (loop or switcher) - also if you can disable the preamp and just use the delays would keep as much of the Orange tone as you can."</i>

Indeed! That is exactly what I want to do. Is this possible? Either solution would work for me...bypass or disable the preamp.

:D

"This cat rocks!"

bgarrett_uk
Orange Master

Post by bgarrett_uk » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:04 pm

Doesn't the preamp have a bypass built in? Button 6 on page 7?

I should have said I control the Xpression via a GCX switcher/ground control pro - which takes the whole shooting match out of circuit when I don't need it.
Cheers
Brian

Asphalt Jungle
Rocker

Post by Asphalt Jungle » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:02 am

Ok, so I bought a few stomp boxes (Chorus, Delay, Phase Shifter) and I hooked them up via the effects loop. I also put my Crybaby Wah in the loop.

I noticed that the volume spiked very noticably whenever I used the wah....so high that I didn't use it during rehearsal. I noticed that the stomp boxes produced the same result, but to a lesser degree.

Is this common?

"This cat rocks!"

mistercoffee1
Tiny Terror

Post by mistercoffee1 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:13 pm

Do not use a wah in the effects loop, only in the front input of the amp; same with any sort of overdrive.
Chorus, delay, phase can go into the effects loop and should sound better in there (delay can go either way depending on what kind of sound you want).

bgarrett_uk
Orange Master

Post by bgarrett_uk » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:05 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mistercoffee1</i>
<br />Do not use a wah in the effects loop, only in the front input of the amp; same with any sort of overdrive.
Chorus, delay, phase can go into the effects loop and should sound better in there (delay can go either way depending on what kind of sound you want).
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
+1

Asphalt Jungle
Rocker

Post by Asphalt Jungle » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:23 am

Thanks for the help, Gents! :D

"This cat rocks!"