severe fx loop line noise

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

MJXII

Post by MJXII » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:42 am

I own a Rockerverb 50. It is about a year old. Bought it new. I have tried on a few occasions to use the fx loop. The first few times I got zero guitar, instead an incredibly loud noise that was independent of the volume knob on the amp. This happens as soon as I plug in a cable to one of the FX loop inputs. It doesnt matter if the other end is plugged in.

I tried using my BBE sonic maximizer in the loop last week. This time I could hear the guitar coming through low and with lots of line noise. Any help?

does it need repair.

thanks

Tim

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:58 pm

Try plugging a cable from the fx loop out directly into the fx loop in so that your signal goes throught the loop but with nothing in the loop. If the noise still exists, I would first try replacing the 12AT7 driver tube for the loop.

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:00 pm

My bad it's this one; thought the reverb was on the left closer to the reverb tranny.

X-X-X
<font color="red"><b>X</b></font id="red">-X-X
O-O-O-O

bgarrett_uk
Orange Master

Post by bgarrett_uk » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:08 pm

The FX loop driver valve (V7A) and return (V7B) are in circuit all the time whether or not you use the loop.

The loop is serial - i.e. if you take the signal out the send (by putting a jack into the send socket) you break the internal connection and all signal is routed to the send socket. You must then (after plugging in) whatever pedals you use return to the FX return socket.

If the amp is fine without anything plugged into the send then there is nothing wrong with the amp and the problem rests with either faulty connections to the send/return jacks - or your pedals.

The jack sockets on the Orange amps work fine with Neutrik jacks - other (cheaper) jacks are not all same standard length and may not mate properly with the tip connection on the jack socket. On some jacks it is necesssary to pul the jack plug out a little bit until you feel it "click" properly which is when the tip connection locks into the indent on the tip of the plug.

I wouldn't advise fiddling with any valves because of the amp is OK when not using the loop - it is highly unlikely it has anything to do with the valves.

Does your pedal work OK in front of the amp?

Cheers
Brian

[Edit} you got there before me Jamieson - I was about to correct your valve idents.... the pic below will help of my RV50.

DaanAy

Post by DaanAy » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:32 pm

Thanks !
I had the exact same loud hum problem with the loop, i will try BG's thing, pulling it out a little tomorrow...
selling my Rockerverb 50Combo near Amsterdam Netherlands. mail me !

MJXII

Post by MJXII » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:51 pm

thanks for the input. My RV50 works perfectly with out the fx in play so it must be my cables, or how deep I plug them in. I will try the "listen for the click" method. Both pedals I have tried using in the FXLOOP work fine in front of my amp. I am under the impression I can use a standard instrument cable for the FX send/return, is this correct?

-Tim

MJXII

Post by MJXII » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:18 am

I attempted trying to find the "sweet spot" when plugging into the fx send/return jacks. I only heard different levels of the same line noise, or once in a while the guitar signal coming through very weak. its too bad. any more info?

heliosdavid
Rocker

Post by heliosdavid » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:36 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MJXII</i>
<br />I attempted trying to find the "sweet spot" when plugging into the fx send/return jacks. I only heard different levels of the same line noise, or once in a while the guitar signal coming through very weak. its too bad. any more info?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Might wanna try to use a cable tester on the cables you're running to the FX loop, and for that matter... on every cable on your pedal board. Anytime I have a weak guitar signal problem it has turned out to be a bad george L connection.

Good luck!
http://www.stellatemusic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bgarrett_uk
Orange Master

Post by bgarrett_uk » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:44 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by heliosdavid</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MJXII</i>
<br />I attempted trying to find the "sweet spot" when plugging into the fx send/return jacks. I only heard different levels of the same line noise, or once in a while the guitar signal coming through very weak. its too bad. any more info?

Might wanna try to use a cable tester on the cables you're running to the FX loop, and for that matter... on every cable on your pedal board. Anytime I have a weak guitar signal problem it has turned out to be a bad george L connection.

Good luck!

+1

In addition - again assuming the amp works fine without any effects plugged into the loop - just plug the cables direct into the FX send/return (just the cable - no effects) - this will check whether there is something wrong in connecting the cable to the FX send/return sockets.
Cheers
Brian

MJXII

Post by MJXII » Thu May 24, 2007 4:54 pm

when only the cables are plugged into the back of my RV50 i just get a loud ugly noise. I dont know what to think. I have checked the cables, tried different cables.

So if I dont here this noise when the efx loop is inactive that means the efxloop is not broken. My cables are fine, I dont understand. I dont want to send my amp through the mail to get fixed. I guess Ill just deal with it. 1800bux to get a "mostly" working amp.hahahaha.jokes on me. other than this problem I love this amp to death.

bgarrett_uk
Orange Master

Post by bgarrett_uk » Thu May 24, 2007 8:58 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MJXII</i>
<br />when only the cables are plugged into the back of my RV50 i just get a loud ugly noise. I dont know what to think. I have checked the cables, tried different cables.

So if I dont here this noise when the efx loop is inactive that means the efxloop is not broken. My cables are fine, I dont understand. I dont want to send my amp through the mail to get fixed. I guess Ill just deal with it. 1800bux to get a "mostly" working amp.hahahaha.jokes on me. other than this problem I love this amp to death.

Not sure I understand this.

Does the amp work OK with nothing plugged into the FX loop?

the suggestion above from Jamison was to plug a single lead into the FX send and back into the FX return -not clear from what you have said that this is what you did?

If the amp is fine with nothing plugged into the FX send/return then there is nothing wrong with the FX driver/return valve.
Sorry for the repetition - does the amp work fine on both channels (all controls to 12 o'clock except reverb - turn down to zero) ? Yes?

Next step is plug a single lead into the send and plug other end in the return - does it still work? Preferably Switchcraft or Neutrik jacks if not then you have to check they're making good contact.

You can also plug your guitar directly into the FX return and that should also get some sound out of the amp.

Let us know how you get on this is just trying to isolate the problem. It's not obvious yet that the amp is broken.

Cheers
brian

MJXII

Post by MJXII » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:42 pm

Well its been a while. Fx loop is still not working. when i use it i hear a very weak signal covered in noise. cables are good.pedals fine. i live in New England US. anyone know where i could take this to get looked at?

Zachattack08

Post by Zachattack08 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:37 am

Okay, so I'm kinda going off subject with the whole noise in the FX loop thing, but it deals with the FX loop.
When i plug my effects into the effects loop, the sound quality of the amp noticably lowers, even when every single effect is bypassed. is this due to gain loss cuz its going through the effects or what?
or is my FX loop messed up?