OR120 question.......I replaced the gain pot now..

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Rally Car
Orange Expert

Post by Rally Car » Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:43 am

I just replaced the gain pot on my early 1990's OR120. The previous owner replaced it and wired it so there was a ground hum all the time. Well I replaced it and wired it the same as my 1970's or120 but with one exception. I am missing the resistor( or what ever you call it?) that connects the two posts on the pot. The amp works but distorts very easily at lower volumes than it should. What is the value of the resistor that I need to complete the circuit? I am a novice at this so any help would be appreciated.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:51 pm

Read the color bands on the older resistor and write down their order. They tell you what it is you're dealing with. There are resources online that will have the resistor codes so you can tell what it is...

Rally Car
Orange Expert

Post by Rally Car » Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:47 am

Hi, I found out it is a 330 pf bright cap that I need. So I got the part and I'll try it out tomorrow.

I do have another question. When I was testing the amp after the pot switch I touched the 2 blue caps at the back of the amp by the tubes and got a little shock. I'm not talking about inside the chassis of the amp because I know the outcome of that. But from the back of the amp. I know this is not normal and was wondering what I should look for. Would this be because it is not grounded properly? Any help would be great. I dont want a dangerous amp.

mouldi101

Post by mouldi101 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:16 pm

hmmm... i think ive gotta say this before anyone gets too far into the discussion, but if you are a beginner with electronics, its probably best to start working on small scale (ie battery powered fx etc) projects before attempting something involving potentially lethal voltages (ie a tube amp).

mouldi101 - todays safety dude.