Ok, my one day old ad30htc isn't working... Help!

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

mouldi101

Post by mouldi101 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:28 pm

Ok, yesterday I went out, bought an ad30htc (after testing in the shop), came home, left it overnight and then hooked it up to an 8 ohm 1x12 today and although the light is on, it appears that no-one is at home (i.e. no sound).

Now although this is my first tube amp, I can't think I've done anything wrong... I havent plugged it in without an appropriate speaker connected, I've let it warm up for a few minutes... The only thing I can think of is that the cable I hooked it up with (which I bought as speaker cable (and decent stuff as well) is a dud.

Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom that they would like to share with me on the situation? Also, is up or down standby on the standby switch?

Cheers,

mouldi101

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:36 pm

Down is standby- up is on.

If it worked in the store, I'd try a known good speaker cable. It'd be worth it to go get a new cable.... if that doesn't work, make sure your cabinet is working. You could plug the speaker cable into the cabinet and touch a 9 volt battery to the jack of the cable and if the speakers move, the cab is working. If you still have nothing, bring the amp back to the store immediately for repair, etc.

Billy

mouldi101

Post by mouldi101 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:24 am

ok, thanks for the advise, i've worked it out now... turns out i stood on the jack connector which shorted out the output of the amp (not good)... how unlucky am i on my first full day of ownership?

anyway, does anyone know if this is likely to have done any damage (or indeed how to check if it did, all the fuses are still fine)? i did only have it switched on for a few minutes, and now its working, the eq seems a tad subtle compared to in store, is this likely to be damage or something to do with the ridiculously poor speaker im using on a temporary basis?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:34 am

I'm sure it's fine...

I've had the same thing happen with a midi cable for my footcontroller... someone is ALWAYS stepping on my cord where it goes into the footcontroller and I have to replace a 20 foot midi cable which they sure don't give away....

Billy