Yet another Orange 212 question

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

jadedlikeme

Post by jadedlikeme » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:44 pm

Hey, I recently discovered the Orange cabs and I have a question. I know the Orange 212 with the two Vintage 30's only handles 16 ohms in and out (right?), so that means the two speakers are 8 Ohms wired in series. Sucks that I can't use that cab...

What about the new Orange cabs with the Eminence Custom speakers? I heard they handle 8 ohms and 16 Ohms? Can anybody give me more info on this cab? Is the 8 Ohms mono or stereo? (God I hope it's mono.)

I ask because my amp head only handles 8 and 4 ohms mono. It's killing me that Orange doesn't make an 8 or 4 ohm 212 cab!!

Thanks folks!

Eve

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:12 pm

I haven't heard anything about mono/stereo Orange cabs... doesn't mean they don't exist, though.

Most guitar cabs are 16 ohm or 8 ohm. A 16 ohm cab uses the entire windings of an amp's output transformer so that is usually preferable. 8 and 4 ohms out are taps along the windings' way...

What amp are you using? Is it a newer Marshall? If it is, you actually DO have a 16 ohm output- it's just not wired as such. You could have an amp tech wire it for you using the 16 ohm tap so you'd have 8 and 16 ohm capabilities. Marshall, for some reason, puts a three-tap transformer in all of its amps but with a two-way switch so combos are generally 4/8 while heads are generally 8/16 but they all have the same transformer...

4 is ridiculous since I don't know of anyone making a 4 ohm cabinet, anyways.

The alternative if you're married to that amp is to get an Orange 2X12 and swap out the speakers with 2 16 ohm speakers...

Billy

Edited by - bclaire on 18 Jul 2004 16:15:57

jadedlikeme

Post by jadedlikeme » Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:35 pm

My amp head is a Randall RH100G2. I'm not ready to changes heads yet. I guess the 4 ohms would be for linking two 8 Ohm cabs together. Too bad Randall didn't stick a 16 Ohm jack on there to cover all the bases. Turds. ;)

Anyway, my only options are hopefully the Orange with Eminence will have an 8 Ohm mono jack on it, or get the V30 loaded cab and swap speakers. Or... hold onto my money until something better comes along.

Maybe somebody else will chime in about the Orange Eminence cabs ratings.

Thanks!