Tiny Terror Problem????

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

notagain

Post by notagain » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:18 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ade Emsley</i>
<br />
Sometimes the JJ 12AX7`s can have some DC voltage on the grids which will cause the gain pot to appear noisy when turned.

This will not actually do the amp any harm as it is a very small amount of DC voltage.
This problem is most likely nothing to do with the pots so dont go trying to remove them only to find that nothing has changed!

Best regards
Adrian Emsley
Technical Director
Orange amps

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
That is exactly what I had hoped the problem was with mine. Swapped out the pre's with 3 different sets but my problem with the gain pot did not go away. Sould be back at Orange USA today or tomorrow...will keep everyone updated once Will looks at it and give me the diagnosis.

Tomm

Post by Tomm » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:10 pm

Posting again, in annoyance. Going to ring Orange tomorrow.
Tryed the amp once again, it's making the most apalling static noises, popping, consisting humming. Didn't expect this from any decent amp manafacturer, let alone Orange! Very irratating, and it may have put me off buying Orange amps in teh future.

[:(!]

[:0]

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:08 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tomm</i>
<br />Posting again, in annoyance. Going to ring Orange tomorrow.
Tryed the amp once again, it's making the most apalling static noises, popping, consisting humming. Didn't expect this from any decent amp manafacturer, let alone Orange! Very irratating, and it may have put me off buying Orange amps in teh future.

[:(!]

[:0]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Tomm, as suggested it is likely to be a valve problem. Most such problems with valve amps aren't with the amps themselves, but with the valves! By all means phone Orange though - they are usually very helpful.

But do bear in mind that valves can and sometimes do go faulty - which is why they are in sockets and can be easily replaced. If you get weak ones then they may show up as 'early failures'. Or an valve may succumb to rough transport. Such problems are far from unknown here, but they can happen with ANY make of valve amp.

Your amp uses a pair of EL<b>84</b> power valves and 12AX7 (ECC83) preamp valves. Did you try Simons suggestion of swapping in another preamp valve? That would be a useful first step to finding the problem.

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

Tomm

Post by Tomm » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:26 pm

I didn't realise swapping the tubes/valves was as simple! I'll give it a go and get back to you. Cheers

EDIT just to clarify, it's the preamp tubes that need swapping? And are there any recommendations? Anyone give me any prods in the right direction? A little guide in how to do it?

Sorry, I guess you must get this a lot, but yeah ... everyone's gotta start somewhere I guess :)

notagain

Post by notagain » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:38 pm

Here's the update on my Tiny Terror.
Just got the phone with Will at Orange USA
in Atlanta...<b>Mine does have a bad gain pot.</b>
All the solder joints and pcb are fine...Since
they don't even have spare parts in yet, as it's so
new, they are sending me a new Tiny Terror today!
So as expected the pre amp tubes were never the issue.

Tomm

Post by Tomm » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:04 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by notagain</i>
<br />Here's the update on my Tiny Terror.
Just got the phone with Will at Orange USA
in Atlanta...<b>Mine does have a bad gain pot.</b>
All the solder joints and pcb are fine...Since
they don't even have spare parts in yet, as it's so
new, they are sending me a new Tiny Terror today!
So as expected the pre amp tubes were never the issue.

I sent mine back for return today:)

notagain

Post by notagain » Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:35 pm

Final Closure...
Orange USA had no parts to fix
my Tiny Terror (to new), so they
sent me a brand new one. Got it
last week, but held off opening it
until this morning (for XMAS).
I love this little thing, it was worth
the wait to get one that worked properly,
and Orange's "Customer Service" was EXCELLENT!
Merry Christmas all!

indravayu
Orange Expert

Post by indravayu » Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:31 pm

I got some pops and crackles on my TT the first two days I owned it - they mainly appeared after switching between 15w/7w (which I only did with the power off). Luckily, the pops & clicks went away. I never played through the stock tubes - Iswapped in some NOS ones as soon as I pulled the TT out of its box.

k-tophe

Post by k-tophe » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:51 pm

I've got a problem with my tiny terror.

Listen:
http://media.putfile.com/tiny-terror

It's a gain pot problem?

notagain

Post by notagain » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:35 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by k-tophe</i>
<br />I've got a problem with my tiny terror.

Listen:
http://media.putfile.com/tiny-terror

It's a gain pot problem?
That sounds nothing at all like what my problem was, I would get a hum, I could wiggle the Gain pot up and down, not turning it, just wiggling it up and down and the amound of volume and gain would change, but it would still sound decent, nothing like what you have recorded....I don't think I've even heard anything quite like that...As you in the USA? Call Orange directly and ask to speck to Will.

k-tophe

Post by k-tophe » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:43 am

Well,
i've swapped the two ecc83s JJ for (no name) chinese 12ax7, and the problem seems cured!

I ordered two 12ax7 electro harmonix...

Hobie
Rocker

Post by Hobie » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:12 pm

I have never taken valves out, but the fit of the preamp valves is really firm, almost worry I am going to cut my fingers, but I have been doing it okay and seating them in. Is this normal?

Luckily I have never had any of the problems above with the TT or the R30C, that I bought second hand and later sold, the new owner is equally happy.

I feel really lucky to have such a good sound for the price $800AUD. Hard to import a kit for anywhere near this price.
Matamp C7