Orange AD30TC head: Which pre-sockets affect tone?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

thriftyshirt
Tiny Terror

Post by thriftyshirt » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:38 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm a new orange owner, and new to the forum.

Anybody know which pre socket positions affect what? I.e. VI, V2, V3: which affects which channel.

I want to be able to run a cleaner tube (12at7) for the clean channel to get more headroom, and a higher gain tube in the dirty channel.

Any help?

aaron

www.thefreakinhott.com

spoonie g
Orange Master

Post by spoonie g » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:55 pm

apparently this is a mystery.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:24 pm

No, worked this out a while back on my AD30R. If you have an AD30R, as you look at them starting closest to the edge, the first preamp valve controls the gain stage. The centre valve is for reverb, and the one closest the centre is the phase inverter (feeds the power section). If your AD30 doesn't have reverb, the same applies, except without the reverb valve.

You should note that each 12AX7 has two 'sides' to it, and an AD30 actually uses the whole of the first valve, and half of the phase inverter valve in the gain stage. Hence the first valve will be the most sensitive to being changed, in terms of gain.

Don't tell me the best way, just tell me the cheapest way...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

thriftyshirt
Tiny Terror

Post by thriftyshirt » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:48 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
No, worked this out a while back on my AD30R. If you have an AD30R, as you look at them starting closest to the edge, the first preamp valve controls the gain stage. The centre valve is for reverb, and the one closest the centre is the phase inverter (feeds the power section). If your AD30 doesn't have reverb, the same applies, except without the reverb valve.

You should note that each 12AX7 has two 'sides' to it, and an AD30 actually uses the whole of the first valve, and half of the phase inverter valve in the gain stage. Hence the first valve will be the most sensitive to being changed, in terms of gain.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

What about in the AD30TC head? I'm most concerned with the valve that affects the gain for each channel.

www.thefreakinhott.com

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:21 am

Well all of the preamp valves (except a reverb valve) will affect gain, but as I already said, the first valve is the most sensitive, and has most effect on gain of all the preamp valves, as both sides of it are used in the gain stage, as opposed to the preamp valve in the last position, only half of which is used in the gain stage, the other half of which is used as the phase inverter to feed the EL84 valves.

An AD30TC should have 4 preamp valves, not 2 or 3. The four valves split into two parts, two for each channel. Bclaire can tell you the exact layout as he's got an AD30TC combo. I've got an AD30R, which is single channel.

If you can work out which is the first preamp valve, then that will be the most sensitive. Usually the one closest to the edge of the chassis.

Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

H Bizzle
Tiny Terror

Post by H Bizzle » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:22 pm

I have a question along these lines as I'm interested in getting more headroom for the clean channel of my AD30tc. But since I've been promised a manual from Orange support for some time now, I'm was wondering which channel is considered to be designate dirty in this model. Channel One or Two? They are identical in terms of controls, but the timbre of each and the sensitivity of the tone pots seems to differ substantially from each other. If this has been addressed in another topic, I apologize, but any takers for some direction concerning this matter would be greatly appreciated.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:31 pm

Relatively arbitrary question... simple way to find out is to crank it up and work out which sounds dirtier! Or alternately, just go with the sound from whichever channel you prefer.

I had trouble with putting a 12AT7 valve in my AD30, in that I got a lot of crackle, so be wary, although mine might have just been a bad tube. I recall speaking the Ade Emsley - who designed the amp - and he recommended not using 12AT7s. I don't think it will break the amp at all, just their use is optimised for 12AX7s.

Joe

G(sus) saves