ad30r problems

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

prophetikrocker
Tiny Terror

Post by prophetikrocker » Mon May 17, 2004 7:42 am

when i got this combo a month ago it worked fine but then it started making a rattling noise. it hasnt left my house or been dropped or anything. i thought it was the tubes. ive taken it apart and listened and looked for something out of place. i just cant seem to put my finger on it. im going to replace the rectifier tube because the noise if coming from that side of the board. i was wondering if any of you may have had a problem like this. could it be the reverb possibly? if so, where is that located and can i fix it by myself?
thanks.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Mon May 17, 2004 9:08 am

I've had similar problems... might want to rule everything out before you start replacing parts.

1. Try with different guitar
2. Try with different leads
3. Make sure you're not near a strong power source... it's possible (but unlikely) that it's being picked and amplified.
4. Check that none of the tubes or parts are loose
5. Does the rattling happen consistently at all volumes / levels of gain? If it increases with one or both, i'd suspect the tubes generally.
6. Really obvious one, but simply check that there is nothing on top of the amp, or near it that is picking up the sound frequency and vibrating.
7. If you still can't work it out, take it to your local amp store and get them to check it over before you start fiddling. Accurate diagnosis will save you a heap of money (probably).

Don't tell me the best way, just tell me the cheapest way...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...