No dice.

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

bigbrotherwatching

Post by bigbrotherwatching » Sun May 02, 2004 12:46 am

My ad140tc head is turning on and the tubes are apparently warming up, but I am getting no sound. If I turn both the gain and the master all the way I get a faint, distorted, and crackling sound, but that is it. It was good up until today when I tried to run two 16ohm cabs, one from each of my 8ohm outs. Any ideas about what has occurred?
Thank you very much.

spoonie g
Orange Master

Post by spoonie g » Sun May 02, 2004 2:44 am

doesn't sound good. If possible don't turn it on anymore. Take it to a tech as soon as possible.

One question: have you recently changed the pre amp tubes at all? I have heard more than occasion where a grid resistor was blown from the improper installation of tubes on these amps, i.e., the sockets had been misaligned to the point where improper contacts caused the g.r. to blow. The sockets are attached to the board. This is a very cheap way of construction, and about the only part of the construction of this amp I have a serious problem with.

If not, then it maybe it's something else. ;)

bigbrotherwatching

Post by bigbrotherwatching » Sun May 02, 2004 3:10 am

Yes. In fact, I installed tubes not four months ago, and was just noticing today that they are poorly alligned (i.e. they don't quite make it all the way down). The tubes are so fragile I didn't want to force them more than I did, which felt like too much anyway.
Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun May 02, 2004 3:48 pm

Definitely bring it to a tech...

how old is yours? I had a problem with mine at first and needed some repair- have your tech contact Orange about it.

Billy