Tube swap in AD15

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

jbrother

Post by jbrother » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:01 am

What do you recommend for new tubes in my AD15/12? The Ruby EL84s break up at too low a volume and sound flabby to me.

Edited by - jbrother on 29 Apr 2004 01:02:22

grgurich
Tiny Terror

Post by grgurich » Tue May 04, 2004 8:31 pm

Go out to www.watfordvalves.com. Derek Rocco, who owns the shop, is one of the UK's leading providers of amp valves. His site has a plethora of info on all things valve. He has a great selection and great service. I've bought several sets of valves from him over the three years I've owned my Orange and have never been let down.

JG
John

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Wed May 05, 2004 12:35 am

Ditto to that... Watford Valves have got back-stock tubes that people just don't make any more, as well as the mainstream ones. I usually shop at Hot Rox UK (www.hotroxuk.com) as they're local to me. But equally, the guy at that store knows his stuff.

Take a look at the test reports on the Watford Valves website, and think about what sound you're looking for. Whatever it is, you should be able to find something that matches it. In general, avoid the cheaper Chinese made tubes. They're not the best. You'll find high gain and low gain valves on the report, so just read the reports at the Watford Valves site and pick what suits.

They'll know far more than me or most of the people here will (apologies to any tube experts in the vicinity).

Don't tell me the best way, just tell me the cheapest way...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

grgurich
Tiny Terror

Post by grgurich » Thu May 06, 2004 3:53 pm

The Irish Admiral is right on the money. Check out the valve test reports on the Watford Valve site. They're very comprehensive and therefore a great guide. I would suggest then buying from Watford as well, but that's up to you.

JG
John