2x12 cabinet inputs

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Ozweego412
Rocker

Post by Ozweego412 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:30 pm

Ok I am new to the whole speaker cabinet amp head world. long story short.. I just bought the Orange 2x12 cab. First Question.. There are two inputs on the back, What is the difference between the two as they are not labeled. And are all Speaker Cab info sticker on the back filled in with a sharpie?
Orange: AD15, AD30HTC, OR50H, PPC212 (WGS Reaper and Veteran 30)

acorkos
Orange Master

Post by acorkos » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:18 am

your speaker cab jacks are wired in parallel....that is, the plug tip contacts on both jacks are connected, and the plug sleeve contacts are connected. plug your speaker cable into either one....it doesn't matter. your amp signal gets to the speakers regardless of which cabinet jack you're plugged into.

the second jack is there in the event you want to connect another cabinet....amp into speaker cable into one jack of your first cab, second jack of first cab connected via speaker cable to a second cabinet. make sure your cabs have the same impedence (ohms) rating and drop your impedence switch on your amp to half the ohms rating of one cabinet.

sharpie? cool, huh? very utilitarian.

hoohoodilly

Re: 2x12 cabinet inputs

Post by hoohoodilly » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:55 am

I have always been curious about this and you have finally provided some answers that I have been searching for. So if I have two 8 ohm cabs and I run a speaker cable from the 2nd jack of the first cabinet into the 1st jack of the 2nd cabinet, then should I set the amp for 16 ohms or is it 4 ohms? When you chain the 2 cabs together like that do you add together 8+8=16ohms or are they still parallel making it 4?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:01 pm

hoohoodilly wrote:I have always been curious about this and you have finally provided some answers that I have been searching for. So if I have two 8 ohm cabs and I run a speaker cable from the 2nd jack of the first cabinet into the 1st jack of the 2nd cabinet, then should I set the amp for 16 ohms or is it 4 ohms? When you chain the 2 cabs together like that do you add together 8+8=16ohms or are they still parallel making it 4?

4 ohms.

The way Orange and Marshall wire their amps, any time you plug TWO cabs together whether both into the head or daisy-chained together, the ohms are halved. So two 16 ohm cabs means you either daisy-chain them or plug both into each of the 8 ohm outs on the head.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:46 pm

hoohoodilly wrote:I have always been curious about this and you have finally provided some answers that I have been searching for...
I'm not sure that the word 'finally' is appropriate considering that the post was made over 10 years ago. I really dig old threads though.