Orange AD200B Blown Tube

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

pkelliher

Post by pkelliher » Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:18 am

Hello,

I recently purchased an Orange AD200B bass head, I used this to record, and when we were mixing down I fogot to turn off the head, so it was on for about 6 to 7 hours, I also forgot to flip the stand by switch on the head, my bass was plugged in with the volume nob turned down on the bass.

I later tried to play through the head and realized that the volume was really faint and no matter how loud I cranked it it stayed low, I then checked the fuses and realized that I snaped three of the fuses.

I replaced the three fuses, and it now sounds fine, however for good measure I checked the tubes after it warmed up and only three of the four tubes are lighting up now, I'm guessing I blew one of the tubes (When starring at the back of the amp the tube closes to the power imput on the right is blown.)

My question is, if I play the amp on only three tubes could this screw the amp up more or am I just receiving less power while only playing through three?

Note: It sounds Identical on three tubes compared to when it was running on all four.

Gear with head: I am playing this head through an Ampeg SVT-810E speaker cab from the 4ohm plug on the head to the 4ohm input on the speaker cab, I use a guitar cable for this connection (I'm not sure if this is a problem or not either)

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks,
--Patrick

Iron Man
Tiny Terror

Post by Iron Man » Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:27 am

grasshopper,

tip 1) stop forgetting proper powerup power down procedures; especially with quailty gear. treat her gently treat her kind, she will then be faithful. turn on standby to power up, turn off stand by to power down. always unplug instrument after power down.

tip 2) replace all your power tubes, now. do not run on worn out tubes, and they are not "spares" if one blows. get a matched quad of quality ones at that, tone, longevity and performance will improve.

tip 3) immediately get rid of that instrument cable to connect the head to the cabinet. replace it with quality speaker cable. the two types of cable are not interchangable.

tip 4) optional: replace your strings with Rotosounds, made in the UK. best strings for classic british vintage vibe.

"then and only then you may leave the temple"

pkelliher

Post by pkelliher » Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:53 am

Great, Thanks for the Info guys.