Orange OR120 tubes????

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

robbie47

Post by robbie47 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:13 am

Hi, I just got a 70's Orange half stack. IT'S THE BEE'S KNEE'S! I'm not sure of the exact date, there was no tag inside. I was wondering the Best type or brand of EL34's to put in it. I'm sure Mullard's would be the best, but their hard to find four matched. Electo- Harmonix make's a good one. And there is Sovtek el34 (not matched) and two 7025 12xzwb(??), also Sovtek, in it now.
Robbie <font color=orange></font id=orange>

Edited by - robbie47 on 14 Apr 2004 05:16:21

Edited by - robbie47 on 14 Apr 2004 06:36:58

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:12 am

I like SED EL-34's best out of all the current production EL-34's. The Electroharmonix aren't bad, but they sounded a bit mushy in my OR-120, where the SED's are more clear and articulate.

The EH's break up a tad earlier, where as the SED's are a bit of a cleaner tube. Not a huge difference though.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

spoonie g
Orange Master

Post by spoonie g » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:58 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I like SED EL-34's best out of all the current production EL-34's. The Electroharmonix aren't bad, but they sounded a bit mushy in my OR-120, where the SED's are more clear and articulate.

The EH's break up a tad earlier, where as the SED's are a bit of a cleaner tube. Not a huge difference though.

-Nick

In regard to this, there are actually two different types of SED', one made in Svetlana's St. Petersburg factory, and one in another factory where the tooling is inferior (forget exactly where). www.thetubestore.com has the better ones, I believe.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:15 am

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Hi, I just got a 70's Orange half stack. IT'S THE BEE'S KNEE'S!
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

I have some friends in Worcester MA who have a band called The Bees Knees...

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:39 am

In regard to this, there are actually two different types of SED', one made in Svetlana's St. Petersburg factory, and one in another factory where the tooling is inferior (forget exactly where). www.thetubestore.com has the better ones, I believe.

"Svetlana" tubes were originally made by a company called Svetlana Electronic Devices. They were great quality tubes.

Then maybe about a year ago, The new Sensor Corp (who makes Sovtek and Electroharmonix tubes) bought the 'Svetlana' name from Svetlana Electronic Devices. I'm not sure why this happened though.

Now if you buy a "Svetlana" tube, you're getting a tube that's made in the Reflektor Factory in Russian, where Sovtek tubes are made. There's discussion as to weather or not "Svetlana" tubes are now just Sovteks with a different name screened on them. I don't know the specifics of what goes on in the factory.

However...

Svetlana Electronic Devices DOES still make tubes. They just don't label them "Svetlana". Their tubes are being made in the same factory they've always been made in, with the same machines and te same tooling. They're now labelled "SED" (which stands for Svetlana Electronic Devices").

So if you want the 'real' Svetlanas, you get a set of SED's. If you want Sovtek-Svetlanas, you buy "Svetlana" tubes.

Hope that helps.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

robbie47

Post by robbie47 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:53 pm

Thank you to everyone who replyed.
I'm currently trying the EH el 34's.
Don't know how they sound, as I have not put them in yet.

Robbie

Iron Man
Tiny Terror

Post by Iron Man » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:36 pm

send them back and get a matched quad of SED's. EH are hyped re-labeled Sovteks. Sovteks get the job done, but the tone is way harsh.

take 6 and call me in the morning.