Terror Bass 500 -F use Blows - New

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Re: Terror Bass 500 -F use Blows - New

Post by Gladmarr » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:14 pm

a.hun wrote:
I know you weren't saying so but just to be clear, class D amps aren't digital amps.
http://sound.westhost.com/articles/pwm.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
No, they aren't digital amps, but a PWM is the only way to do a 1-bit DAC. If you were to take the output capacitors off of the terror bass, you wouldn't like what you heard, and you'd likely find you speaker in barbecue heaven.

eyvindwa

Post by eyvindwa » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:39 pm

I played my new replacement TB 500 at rehearsal today for more or less 4 hours straight at loud volumes, and I had zero issues. I'm very happy to report that the amp sounds great, and I hope my problems are now over, and I can get on to enjoying this wonderful little beast!

carlos8f

Post by carlos8f » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:24 pm

So my third unit is from batch 0910, and finally this one works. Played a house party gig with it and it sounded awesome!

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:25 pm

Good, good. Fine to hear that guys!

I'd hope they'll keep working well for you, but I'm sure you'll let us know if not.

Thread bookmarked! :idea:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

jsmilez

Post by jsmilez » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:41 pm

Mine was from batch 311, lasted about a month :(

Hopefully the replacement will be problem free!
(crossing fingers)
-j

jsmilez

Post by jsmilez » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:46 pm

just checking back in. my replacement, a 611 series has been working flawlessly for about 5 months now.
I love this amp... :D

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:42 am

Good, good. Fine to hear that! :D

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

mawd8

Post by mawd8 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:22 am

After 1 month my 500 Terror Bass head has stopped working light comes on but no sound will speak to the shop tomorrow.... only got to play 1 show with it ............. did sound amazing what could be the problem :?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:58 am

Have you checked all fuses? .... and tried other known good cables?

(always check the lowest denominator first...)

3l3phantstomp
Tiny Terror

Post by 3l3phantstomp » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:57 pm

I purchased mine last December and it has been flamethrowing for its 13th consequtive month. Its painful to read about these not working. I'm going to knock on wood for sure, but its been used everywhere from large theater stages, to semi truck trailer stages at biker events, to my local Eagles Aerie. It has come off the amp twice (due to chromosome arrangement of user and not design) onto both hardwood and concrete, and also surfed around my trunk [last time I didn't pack my own gear]) and every time fired up. I've used it in acoustic low volumne gigs, rock and blues mid volumne gigs, and it also beyond holds it own for metal band practices and gigs against super cranked 412 guitar cabs and thunderous drums. I've watched my pant leg flap standing in front of my SP212 speaker at these practices.

Just wanted to give a tale of (at least for one year of serious use) longevity and stalwartness out 'ze box. Its not an inexpensive object so I can appreciate the frustrations. And also not everyone is forthcoming on if purchased new/restocked/ebay-score, etc, so who knows (even suppliers too). NOT trying to point fingers at any of the wonderful musicians who take a moment of their life to post here and share information. Just wanted to share the quality of my experience.
tube huffer

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:16 pm

3l3phantstomp wrote:I purchased mine last December and it has been flamethrowing for its 13th consequtive month. Its painful to read about these not working.

Just wanted to share the quality of my experience.
Look at the time gap in p.3 of this thread. There were some problems with duff FETs (output transistors) in some early BTs, nearly a couple of years back. That problem seems to have been long solved and I think your experience of reliability is now pretty normal.

Any news on yours mawd8?

Andy.

Gary Ghoul

Post by Gary Ghoul » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:19 am

Hey guys,

I bought my Terror 500 from another local musician last December. WHAT A SOUND! I loved this amp until it died this June...:(

I played maybe 7-8 gigs with it, 200 people to 1000 people rooms with no problems, then I played an outdoor festival, did a linecheck, turned it off, then when came time to play, it would t turn back on!!!!

I realised the fuse had blown after the show, I replaced it twice and everytime it blows!

I brought it to the repair show and they told me they get lots of Orange amps there...After looking at multiple issues, I was told the head is basically beyond repair !!! I just found this thread and seems like you can add my amp the the list....:(

I just emaild customer service and I am hoping I too can get a new head because I just can t afford to throw all that money out the window, not to mention I now have to rent a head for all my upcoming gigs....:(

4strings

Post by 4strings » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:23 am

Update? Did you notice the batch number on yours? Wondering since you bought it used (presumably) if it might be one of the few listed earlier.
I love my BT 1000 by the way! :mrgreen:

daaaaabears

Post by daaaaabears » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:59 pm

My buddy just bought this head and it blew within 20 mins also. He took it to Orange and they told him his head was putting out an extra 50 volts! It ruined his cab as well and Orange said they will pay for that as well. I heard their customer service was outstanding but that really surprised me.
Rockerverb 100 MK1
Tiny Terror