TH100 Effects Loop problem

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Strat1127

TH100 Effects Loop problem

Post by Strat1127 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:19 pm

Very frustrating head-scratcher. My (approximately) 10 year old TH100 seems to have a developed an issue with the effects loop. My rig has always been dead quiet but now has developed some high-frequency noise when idle and the amp will sometime feedback uncontrollably...especially when using reverb or delay. I have swapped out all the effects one by one, tried different cables, new high-end power supply, changed all my pre-amp tubes. I've also tried 3 different noise suppressors. When I remove all effects from the chain and just run the noise suppressor everything is fine...adding just one effect will create the problem. I also have a TH30 combo and it doesn't appear to have the same problem.

My signal path: Guitar, fuzz, tuner, wah into guitar-in on my ISP Decimator G-String then out to amp input. Effects loop from amp into G-String effects loop to cleanboost/buffer, Chorus, multi-modulation pedal, pitch shifter, reverb, back out to amp.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Re: TH100 Effects Loop problem

Post by Hubaxe » Tue May 30, 2023 8:37 am

Change the effect loop valve/tube.
On mine I've changed all the 12AX7 + 12AT7 with quiet and carefully selected ones (from Tube Amp Doctor)
Quiet again.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: TH100 Effects Loop problem

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:55 pm

Sounds like you have a microphonic valve.
Try and replace the fx loop one and hopefully you'll be sorted!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute