Orange Dark terror tube roll

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

marshall_law

Orange Dark terror tube roll

Post by marshall_law » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:09 pm

I recently got a dark terror to have at home in my apartment and I had a bunch of NP pre amp tubes and decided to roll them in v1 and v2. I really like a marshall british crunch but didnt really like the dsl 15 over the orange so I tried to recreate that mid range crunch. Even though the dark terror is indeed dark i did want to brighten it up a bit and take some of the high end fizziness that my ears were picking up. I play mostly metal and rock. I typically play gibsons and my 4x12 at home has an x pattern of vintage 30s and some old carvin British 12s that sound awesome

first i tried some svetlanas. They did smooth out the tone but the crunch was lacking.
2nd i tried some shuguangs. 12ax7-a. Sounded ok but were really flat and didnt excite me.
then i put in EH 12ax7s and swapped them back and forth with JJ 12ax7s. Both were really close in this head. Had a hard time deciding which was better. The eh had more mid crunch in them but I could still hear fizz. The JJ were smoother but the mids werent there.
Last and Finally with greatest pleasure I put in the tung-sol 12ax7s. The perfect fit for this head. Nice mid crunch but big bass and no fizz. I was actually not thrilled with this head til I put those in. I highly recommend them.

Squirrels

Re: Orange Dark terror tube roll

Post by Squirrels » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:36 pm

I found that the Tung Sol worked best too. For a little more versatility, try a 5751 in V2, you'll lose some gain (but there is still a lot available) and it made it easier to dial in lower gain tones if that's something that may interest you.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:45 am

The Tungsol PreAmp tubes are my 'go to' Pre Amp tube...I've tried them in several Orange Amps and they have always sounded good.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:10 pm

Babblu0 is a dirty spammer. His entire post was taken from a different thread originally posted last year by Steamboat.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:50 pm

Correct. Which is probably why the post was reported by your roving central spam-time-continuum scrutiniser! :wink:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

steamboat
Rocker

Post by steamboat » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:52 pm

Tungsol in the v1 position is always a solid choice most of my amps are set up this way.
Nice to see you took the extra effort to swap tubes and shape your amps sound!
Some people would have just said it wasn't a good amp and moved on.
Rollin with a fat sack of Oranges

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:35 pm

I tried Tungsol in my amp but didnt hear much of any real tonal change, I actually dont hear alot of tonal change no matter what preamp tubes I rolled through my amp. I actually got more tonal change rolling power tubes believe it or not!
Thunderverb 50