Upgrade to Orange

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Neocalibur

Post by Neocalibur » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:38 am

Hey guys
I'm new to the forums and planning on purchasing an orange. I've been searching around alot to find out which amps would suite my style. I'm into alot of japanese rock but also like bands like radiohead. The choices that I am currently looking at is the 65 Fender Twin Reverb RI, VOX AC30CC, and the Orange AD30R. I really like a good clean sound and something that would work well with pedals. I was thinking something along the lines of this band called ACIDMAN(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spl8WzKT ... ch=acidman), he also uses somekind of orange amp.

Thanks for your help.

MarcusBlacksmith
Orange Master

Post by MarcusBlacksmith » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:52 am

Hi Neocalibur,

Japanese rock, eh? Interesting. Are you from/based in Japan or just a fan? 8)

From what you say I have mixed ideas over whether or not you'd like what Orange has to offer. For a really good clean sound you really can't go past the Fender clean...the Fender Twin RI is a very good amp with good build qualities. It also takes pedals very well...distortions, etc...and from what I remember it's now a twin channel amp with quite a good dirty channel.

When it comes to Orange, it sounds like a Rockerverb is your cup of tea. The AD-30/140 is a very fine amp but it doesn't have a completely 'clean' channel...just a low gain channel that crunches up very nicely. The Rockerverbs 'natural' channel is pure clean...it's only a single pre-amp valve wired up so it CAN'T clip. With exceptionally high volumes you'll still get some power amp clipping but in all counts the Rockerverb has plenty of headroom (I have an RV50).

The Rockerverb dirty channel has a much more modern voicing than the AD series too, which from listening to those clips (and my vague expereience with JPop) is going to suit you.

Here's the downside: no Orange is comfortable with modern distortion pedals. They'll take other effects very happily...reverbs, delays, phasers, tremolos, wahs, autofilters, whatever you want...but not distortion pedals. If you like the RVs dirty channel (and trust me you WILL) then this is a non-issue...since the RV goes from barely crunchy cleans to VERY gainy, sustainy hard rock tones.

The AD series amps work well with Overdrives...but not high-gain distortion once again.

So, in summary...you most likely want a Fender Twin (old or new), OR a Rockerverb. You'll need distortion pedals with the Twin...not with the Rockerverb.

Also...try and PLAY the amps before you buy them. Listening to the sound clip thread at the top of this forum helps...but you won't know exactly what you're getting unless you play it first.
She led me out to the Bikini Atoll, right to the edge of the exclusion zone, and pointed to a dandelion growing in the ashes, like a joke for the living.

'ey, Gringo. This ain't no fancypants Italian Cartel. Viva La Mehico and the Rockerverb Cartel!

Made Man: Blind Miguel

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:38 am

Hi Neocalibur, and welcome.

You've chosen 3 pretty different amps to look at. I basically agree with what Marcus is saying. You'd have to try the Oranges and see if their drive sounds are to your taste, because they are probably best used with their own drive sounds rather then trying to get those from pedals. If you do then you'd probably get on very well with a Rockerverb for clean, or an AD which is slightly more similar to...

...Vox AC30s, which are great sounding amps too, though somewhat different from Oranges. The 'cleans' you can get from them are very nice, but not really <i>truly clean</i> at any great volume.

The Fender Twin Reverb RI though does exactly that though - great cleans at all volumes, so if you have favourite pedals for drive that would be a very good way to go.

Very different amps, different approaches though...

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

MJXII

Post by MJXII » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:30 am

BORIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

go. now. find them. life will be better after.

rot on

bobbypfalcon
Orange Expert

Post by bobbypfalcon » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:20 am

I am mystified by others' love of Fenders but in my opinion the Rockerverb has a superior clean channel and you can dial in various levels of drive to go from retro to full-on metal tones that the Vox and Fender can't touch. The RV does take o/d pedals well if you know how to use them (don't let anyone tell you it isn't the case) but I find I don't need them with RV's great distortion. The Vox sounds great as well but I don't rate it as high as the RV and I have considerable time in with each of these amps. I simply can't recommend the Fender under any circumstances. They sound dead in comparison to the RV and Vox. peace.