12AT7's

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

theschickster
Tiny Terror

Post by theschickster » Sun Jun 23, 2002 3:33 am

<font face='Comic Sans MS'></font id='Comic Sans MS'>
Hey all! i tried some old RCA 12AT7's in the first channel of my AD30TC and they work nicely. It really cleans up that channel. I will be getting some 12AU7's next week and plan to try them also. I'm guessing they will sound even better. There is even less gain in them. Could be spankin fender clean near. For those that missed out. The preamp tube lay out goes like this.
Facing the back of the amp.
Left back-driver channel two
Right back-phase inverter/driver channel two
Left front[closest to you]driver channel one
Right front-phase inverter/driver
As far as we know. The inverter and driver could be backwards but its a pretty sure thing.

gearnut
Tiny Terror

Post by gearnut » Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:27 pm

I've been using a GT 12AT7 in the left socket of each channel and the stock 12ax7 in the right for awhile now. I thought I wanted a bit more gain. So this weekend at a guitar show I bought some NOS GE 5751's (1960 was the date on em). More gain than the 12AT7 but less than a 12AX7. Plus it's super warm and smooth, it's beautiful. Absolutely killer tone. I love this head. I've been thinking about selling it and picking up one of the new Retro 50's...I could use more power and don't really need the second channel...

theschickster
Tiny Terror

Post by theschickster » Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:51 pm

I have on 5751 RCA NOS 50's i believe. I have not put it in anything yet i just got. I think the Retro 50 may be hard to come by. I heard Orange is looking for a new manufacturer. I think there abit behind. Are you thinking about the custom Retro 50? It has switchable Class "a" Class "a/B" opperation. I think there is a custom and standard. They aslo have the AD50 which is the same as the 30 i think. Also have a custom of it with switchable opperation. AFAIK.