Questions, questions, and more questions

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Gollum
Tiny Terror

Post by Gollum » Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:21 am

1. Is it worth my time to drive a good 5 hours just to get to the nearest orange dealer, just to try one . Since i don't really have the money for one right now.

2. If I used a tube pedal, would i get to much preamp harmonics in a AC30TCH?

3. What is a good overdrive pedal for an orange that won't ruin the "touch" of the amp?

Gollum, beholder of the eye.
Gollum, beholder of the eye.

Rally Car
Orange Expert

Post by Rally Car » Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:25 am

First off yes it is worth the trip to try out an amp before you buy one but if it is a 5 hour drive make sure you have another reason to got there so its not a waste of time if you don't like the amp. I ordered my Orange AD140HTC before I ever got to try one. Where I live in western Canada the only Orange dealer is a 12 hour drive away in another province. I am extremely happy with my amp. It is just what I was looking for in an amp. I bought purely off reputation and the fact that I love my Old Orange Or120. If you are wanting the two channel AD30HTC head you wont need an overdrive pedal. They have two channels so you can switch between the clean and the overdriven channel. Just make sure the dealer throws in a footswitch. (they don't come with one). They are great amps. I've never tried an AD30HTC head but if it is like the AD140HTC head you cant go wrong with getting one.

Dude

Post by Dude » Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:33 pm

I'm a proud owner of a ad30htc, but i think it's very risky to drive about 5 hours only for testing. Are you shure that you're strong enough to drive home again with emty hands?
I searched for the right overdrive pedal because i use some effects and in this case i have to use the orange "clean" because of the missing effect loop. If you don't use effects, you will not need a overdrive pedal because the orange has a great classic vintage guitar sound if you turn the gain to 10.
If you want a overdrive pedal do NOT use one with tubes inside. I've tested the hughes & kettner tube factor and it sounds not very good. I have directly compared it with the BOSS Blues Driver and the BOSS sounds much better and it is much cheaper.
If you want a high gain guitar sound the orange is not the right one for you.

Dude

Zeb Chadwick

Post by Zeb Chadwick » Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:31 am

Hello Gollum
Yes it wouldbewellworth the trip and find some way to git it z they sound great I have the AD30 TC head my self running it throught A 4x12 bottom and it sounds wonderful

as for as overdrive pedals go the lead chanal on the AD30 TC is very good and very versital but on the other hand like dude said in the previous post the boss blues driver sounds good and im also using a old TS 808 for a bit of a boost on the clean channel so good luck and go Orange

Zeb

Bonja2001

Post by Bonja2001 » Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:24 am

It is always worth the drive to try out an amp...ESPECIALLY an Orange. Round up some musician friends and make it into a road trip...it'll be cool.

(_DF_()~*
(_DF_()~*

jon reed
Rocker

Post by jon reed » Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:07 pm

You could always resort to running out of the shop with the amp in your coat, but make sure you get lots of strings and leads too as you will probably not be allowed back in the shop.
myspace.com/thevivahighrollers

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:26 am

... or the state, for that matter.

Coming from a guy who drove across Massachusetts to Albany NY just to go to Lark Street Music (when they were there) on a, ahem, lark.... I'd say go. Us guys talking about our Oranges doesn't do them justice. Just scope out some other music stores to go to along the way BACK and bring a friend and call it a "nickel tour." I have various friends that go with me on nickel tours of music stores in Boston, NYC, Providence, etc from time to time. It's a lot of fun and even more so when you don't have a dime in your pocket and no credit cards. You can be a lot more subjective when you know you can't buy anything.

Of course, there's always layaway....

oops. Did I just say that?

Billy

jon reed
Rocker

Post by jon reed » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:44 am

I went to my local music store yesterday to buy a cry baby wah, on the drive over my friend persuaded me to stop going on and on about orange amps, and actually buy one. I was completely convinced, and made my mind up to get the AD30TC combo, on finance. When i got there the price had shot up by about £200!! needless to say i bottled it again, but am enjoying my wah pedal. (also there is a custom "no 3 of 100 ever made" AD30TC combo, that will probably be worth a fortune in days to come, but it dosn't have the orange vinyl covering, it is just varnished a red~brown colour, (witch does slightly lose the appeal) but i'll bet it'll be worth a mint one day.
myspace.com/thevivahighrollers

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:54 am

Well, who knows. There weren't a lot of Black Oranges made in the 70's and I don't see them going for much different than their Orange Orange counterparts....

aussie

Post by aussie » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:49 pm

that special edition of which you speak was featured in Guitarist magazine lasy year. it had a hardwoood cabinet with a great polished finish. it looked beautiful but i wouldn't fancy sticking it in the back of the van and travelling around the country.

Jay_Starr

Post by Jay_Starr » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:19 am

Anybody got pics of it?
And by the way Bclaire why the "Nickel Tour"? what the significance?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:30 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Anybody got pics of it?
And by the way Bclaire why the "Nickel Tour"? what the significance?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

You know, I don't know why those things are called nickel tours- it applies to any kind of visits to multiple places like hitting a bunch of bars, too. Might be that if you go to five places that's like five cents which is a nickel... it's a pretty common term- do a web search and you'll see lots of references.

might make a good band name...

Billy

Edited by - bclaire on 07 Jan 2004 12:33:05

Kid_BS

Post by Kid_BS » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:23 pm

The best overdrive pedal hands down, IMHO, is the Fulldrive Fulltone II pedal. It will retain all of the tone of your amp but drive it into beatiful overdrive. You can really make your orange sound like a heavy metal beast with one of these pedals if that is your thing. With mine, I keep the gain turned back to about 4 so as not to oversaturate the sound. The gain from this pedal sounds much smoother than turning the gain up on the amp itself.

badger668

Post by badger668 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:55 pm

Yeah i played through one of the wood polished ones in the store where i got my amp. it looked good but maybe better for the living room after i make my first million. By the way a five our drive is nothing, i went from melbourne to london in denmark street to get mine!

badge.
badge.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:23 am

Badge you would have to be the winner of the "I went the furthest for my Orange" if there were such a contest!

Billy