song that always gives the shivers down the spine

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

shindigmachine
Orange Master

Post by shindigmachine » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:21 am

and why.

i have to say "cosmonaut" by at the drive-in.

the chorus is so intense and beautiful, yet it's complete chaos. the guitars are unbelieveable, and the vocals are so heartfelt, he just hits this one note that just sends those shivers every time.
Hi. I'm Brad. i play a Gibson Melody Maker RI through a...

Orange RV100H &
Mesa Lone Star 410 w/2 Celestion G10s and 2 Weber Thames 10s

pedals; Barber Tone Press, Robert Keeley BD-2, EHX Micro POG, SIB Mr. Vibromatic, Line6 Echo Park, AKAI Headrush E2, and a custom loopmaster pedal. all on a furman SPB-8.

this band is done but a new one is in the works;
myspace.com/morninggrey734

JohnB
Rocker

Post by JohnB » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:26 am

And why?

Satanic_Versus
Orange Master

Post by Satanic_Versus » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:27 am

Notorious Big, going back to cali...

R.I.P.

to bad he never made it home.

JohnB
Rocker

Post by JohnB » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:28 am

Ouch.

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:25 am

Tool - The Grudge

A couple of minutes into the song, the part where the lyrics go:

<i>
Unable to forgive. and we’re sinking deeper.

Defining, confining, sinking deeper. Controlling, defining, and we’re sinking deeper.</i>
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

Astroman
Orange Expert

Post by Astroman » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:49 am

Hendrix - Electric Ladyland - 1983 (a merman I should turn to be)
-The song itself is not that fantastic but the section where he sings:
Well it is too bad..... that our friends..... can't be with us today
I first heard that when I was 12 (1980) on a radio special about Hendrix here in Sweden. They just cut that part in and it really triggered my interest in Hendrix which THEN eventually got me interested i guitars, and the rest is history. Point is, that hearing that part still brings me back to my childhood bedroom on that September evening 1980 - it it really has a special place
Lars

ECWeagles
Orange Master

Post by ECWeagles » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:43 am

Hmmm..

A lot of songs do, though at different times and for different reasons.

At the moment, "Fix You" by Coldplay, when the BIG bit kicks in. Turn that up on the headphones and I get shivers. Well not shivers per se but certainly a tingle.

Another is (and yes you will kill me) My way by Limp Bizkit. Reason? It was the theme song for Wrestlemania 17 which a few of us made the trek to the states for. Still remember that tingle...

Another is "leave them all behind" by Ride. Great line in it coming off a wall of sound bridge

"Colours shining clear... fading into night" You have to listen to the song but its great, then into possbily my favorite wah solo ever.
Jeremy

Many guitars, many pedals.

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in him." John Piper

chaz
Orange Master

Post by chaz » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:45 am

Too many to list but but here's a cool one....from a guitarist point of veiw i.e. sheer power, presence, tone, feel and delivery, "Earth's Cry Heavens Smile" Santana, just enough notes to make you weep.
I could add another million songs here from rock to soul.

shindigmachine
Orange Master

Post by shindigmachine » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:18 am

i still dig limp bizkit's first album, 3 dollar bill, but other than that, it's pretty much junk. the first album i like, it was really raw. i really dig those guitar tones. i know wes borland is playing seven string, but he doesn't base his playing around that low string being there. at least not on the first album.
Hi. I'm Brad. i play a Gibson Melody Maker RI through a...

Orange RV100H &
Mesa Lone Star 410 w/2 Celestion G10s and 2 Weber Thames 10s

pedals; Barber Tone Press, Robert Keeley BD-2, EHX Micro POG, SIB Mr. Vibromatic, Line6 Echo Park, AKAI Headrush E2, and a custom loopmaster pedal. all on a furman SPB-8.

this band is done but a new one is in the works;
myspace.com/morninggrey734

Joel 87

Post by Joel 87 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:18 pm

Im hooked on Vanilla Sky atm, so powerful songs would be 'All the Right Friends' by REM, because the chorus is so fantastic and gets my spine shivering, and the verse for 'Good Vibrations' (not actually sure if this is the song title) by the Beach Boys. Its just sch a fanastic film, changed my view on life completely.

Im soppy like that lol
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.myspace.com/joelminter

MarcusBlacksmith
Orange Master

Post by MarcusBlacksmith » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:54 pm

There's a part in 'A Wolf at the Door' from the last Radiohead album where the character in the song is just totally losing his mind...muttering

'Dance you ****er dance you ****er don't you dare don't you flan in the face...take it with the love that's given take it with a pinch of salt take it to the taxman'...

Sends shivers of fear and pleasure down my spine everytime.
----
For soppy reasons...'The Rain Song' by Led Zeppelin.
----
For 'oh my God that's the best syncopation man has ever known' reasons: 'Tryin' to grow me a chin' by Frank Zappa.
----
For sentimental reasons: 'Don't Stop Me Now' by Queen.
She led me out to the Bikini Atoll, right to the edge of the exclusion zone, and pointed to a dandelion growing in the ashes, like a joke for the living.

'ey, Gringo. This ain't no fancypants Italian Cartel. Viva La Mehico and the Rockerverb Cartel!

Made Man: Blind Miguel

corky newman
Orange Master

Post by corky newman » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:26 pm

Hendrix, all along the watchtower....
Deep purple, speed freak....
Steely dan, reel'in in the years...
They all make me weak in the knees..

space-boy
Orange Expert

Post by space-boy » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:28 pm

I shiver with lennon's breathing at <b>girl</b> (from Rubber soul AKA <i>the best record ever made</i>).
I shiver with the final sentence of Pulp's <b>Babies</b> ... <i>I only went with her 'cos she looks like you, my God!</i>
I shiver with all the versions I've heard from Radiohead's (and performed by Radiohead) <b>Fake plastic trees</b> (specially a live take some friend recorded for me on a CD with just a guitar and Yorke's incredible voice). I always want to cry when I listen to that <i>wish I could be who you wanted all the time...</i>
For some reason, human voice is the instrument that touches me deeper. I could add some other ones like Bjork, but I want to end with some sort of gift to the ears: <b>First to finish, last to start</b> from ted leo and the pharmacists. Don't expect it to be a great song, nevertheless, this is a small sweet tune.
It's wrong to wish on space hardware

mike
Orange Expert

Post by mike » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:34 pm

A whiter shade of pale Procol harum...because of that Hammond sound and the voice of Gary Brooker... It was the fist time that I heard a HAMMOND SOUND different from Jimmy Smith's sound (that I love very much also with Kenny Burell.)

chaz
Orange Master

Post by chaz » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:39 pm

A bit of a wild one but how about the live version of Room 335 (Larry Carlton) with Steve Luke on there....great solo's..