in the market for a new amp

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

ecto coolest
Rocker

Post by ecto coolest » Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:59 am

hi, im eric, im new to the forum.

basically my fender blues deluxe died at a show sunday night after 2 songs...and now i need a new amp. im definately going to buy an orange, but im not really all that familiar with the different types of heads. the sound i am going for is kind of a smashing pumpkins meets hum type thing...space rock or something. my question is which head is the best for this type of sound? my eye has been on a '72 or before OR120, but i don't want to buy anything uninformed. All opinions welcome.

Thanks!
Eric
1971 OR120 (Plexi Panel, Big Pix Only)
1994 Fender Jaguar (Seymour Duncan Humbuckers, Gibson Nashville Bridge)
2002 PPC412 (British V30s)

theschickster
Tiny Terror

Post by theschickster » Wed Jun 12, 2002 7:48 pm

Well the Or120 basically is a clean amp. It only distorts at deafing volumes. You will need a good od/distortion box. It can be modded to a master volume though. They also made a Od120/80 Overdrive [with master volume] around 76/77 which can get distortion at any volume. I've got a early 70's picts only graphic and a 77 OD80. I just bought the OD80 and will not recieve it intill Saturday or Monday. So i can't compare yet but i can say the OR120 is awesome. I can get a sweet clean tone and use a box for dirt. I will update you when i get the OD80. Right now though i am very happy with the OR120. The tone can be bright or warm depending on which input you use and how you set the EQ[also the guitar and cabinet you use]. The bass response is huge also. LOUD LOUD LOUD! It can get as loud as you want it. They are becoming very pricey now a days too. Be prepared to spend $800 to $1000 give or take $100. Heres some picts of the OR120. http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/theschickste ... yahoo.com/

ecto coolest
Rocker

Post by ecto coolest » Wed Jun 12, 2002 10:59 pm

alright, well i plan on using stomp boxes, so would the Or120 be better for that since its just basic amplification without any overdrive? what pedals work well with the or120?

thanks
eric

theschickster
Tiny Terror

Post by theschickster » Thu Jun 13, 2002 1:22 am

Well I use a SIB Varidrive right now. It sounds very good IMHO. It's a tube driven overdrive. I'm using a 12AX7 [plenty of gain IMO] now but plan to muck around with some 12AT7's and 5751 and 12AU7's. I've also got a Fulldrive which is'nt bad. My Big Muff isnt bad either if you like that pedal. Not very useful IMO. To muddy! Of course i use a LP Standard in dropped 'D' so a Strat could sound alot better with a Muff. Tonebone pedals are supposed to be good but i have not used any yet. i'd say yes the Or120 would be better for higher gain od/distortion pedals. The OD120 would be better suited for low gain pedals. As far an modulation pedals either amp will work great. What pedals do you use now?

ecto coolest
Rocker

Post by ecto coolest » Thu Jun 13, 2002 1:39 am

my setup was:
amp: fender blues deluxe (reissue '94)
guitar: modded fender jaguar (SD '59 neck pickup, SD screamin demon bridge pickup, gibson "nashville" bridge)
pedal: big muff...the green one from mid 90's

the tone i was getting was mediocre...im sure a lot of it had to do with running a 1x12 combo against my other guitarists marshall half stack...im thinking marshall 8x10 with this orange head, or maybe just an orange 4x12, i guess whichever i find first. I think the or120 sounds better suited for what i need it for, because it seems like a great base for a wide array of pedals. to me, the overdrive head might just get in the way of what the pedals could do...for the sound im looking for anyway.

eric

theschickster
Tiny Terror

Post by theschickster » Thu Jun 13, 2002 3:46 am

Sounds like the OR120 it is. Keep us posted on your progress. Good Luck! It may be alittle hard to find a 70's Or120. Ebay is always a good place. Heres a couple of good places too.
http://www.lookwest.com/orange.html
http://www.matamp.com/usedgearsale.html

Edited by - theschickster on 13 Jun 2002 03:48:10

ecto coolest
Rocker

Post by ecto coolest » Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:28 pm

thanks for your input, i really appreciate it.
i'll check those sites regularly.
Thanks!
Eric

Edited by - ecto coolest on 13 Jun 2002 21:21:00

ecto coolest
Rocker

Post by ecto coolest » Fri Jun 14, 2002 6:48 am

what do you think of the soldano G.T.O. pedal? anyone ever used/heard one?

eric

speedking

Post by speedking » Fri Jun 14, 2002 5:34 pm

I don't really think you need any pedals...

all you need is a good vintage guitar, a good amp from 70's a good vintage cabinet obviously, cables and...YOUR FINGERS!!!

pedals suck!!!! better to buy an OD80/120 if you want distortion...

theschickster
Tiny Terror

Post by theschickster » Fri Jun 14, 2002 8:52 pm

Now Now not all pedals suck! Some maybe but not all. Some boost/od pedals can naturaly distort your amp without cranking it to 10 and blowing a eardrum with no tone coloring. The OR120 is that kind of amp. Zvex Super Duper 2 in 1 is a good pedal for that and the Fulldrive in comp cut mode is nice. There are MANY boutique pedals here in the states that are Awesome! The Klon overdrive [one of the best od],Menatone Lovetone Way Huge Fulltone Zvex just to name a few. Plus some people like to use a single channel amp as a two channel. Set it to a nice clean tone and use a pedal the drive the tubes for distortion. Plus you can alot more varity. OD,Distortion,Fuzz anything. But if you play with one tone then no pedals is fine. It's just a personal thing. Hum the GTO i have never played one. Check the reviews at Harmonycentral.com.

speedking

Post by speedking » Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:27 pm

well....sorrryyyy....i was too rude...

it's really a personal thing wht you like...

but when I had pedals everyone told me, that I don't need them....I haven't beieved to anyone...now I see, that the fingers can create really different sound...you have to be imaginative!! :)))

theschickster
Tiny Terror

Post by theschickster » Sat Jun 15, 2002 2:05 pm

I agree your pick attack and fingers can do wonders but some sounds just need a pedal. I believe in options and sometimes the same tone can be boring. I dont use alot a different boxs but like to have a good od/distortion and a good fuzz box. Just to change it up alittle. You can also have your amp distortion only and add a fuzz or a Fender Bender for parts in a song. With some modern amps you dont even need one. With three channels and loads of tones. Its always good to have a Fuzzface IMO though. To each his own. I have no problems witn no pedals either. Punk music does'nt leave much room for pedals. I used to be the guy that needed only his amp guitar and cab. I have changed my tune though. I may change back again someday too. Who knows?

speedking

Post by speedking » Sat Jun 15, 2002 2:51 pm

...but i zhink that everyy guitarist is all his life trying to get his own personal sound...

well..sorry...I forgot...I have a LesPaul Custom w/3 HB, '74(20th anniv.), and I can get beautiful combinations and tones from it...the guitar does everything...from brilliant clean to (almost)rocky crunch...so I found out that all I need is a tube amp with just a little crunch and all other does the guitar...

...I'm angry to me, because I have bought an Engl Screamer 50 amp which has 4 channel, volume boost,...look at www.engl-amps.com...nice thing but I think that it doesn't let the guitar to expres herself...and I use only the Clean Channel a bit crancked...

I'm trying to sell it or to trade it for an Orange or something simillar...but here in Slovenia all this it's not so easy...

I have a Orange '69 ORS100 to buy, but I don't have the money :(((

I'll tell you how will all end...

theschickster
Tiny Terror

Post by theschickster » Sat Jun 15, 2002 4:52 pm

Sounds like a great guitar. I'd love to have one with 3HB. I've got a LP Standard with two. Though the bridge pickup is abit weak for me. There just stock 496 and 498. I like the bridge pretty well. It has a lot of beefy bass and grind in it. I tried the amp link but it would'nt work for me. Good Luck with the Orange. Do you have Ebay over there? I'm sure you do. That may be an option. They charge fees though. Anywho Your amp sounds pretty complex. With 4 channels three pickups and a good cabinet i dont think i'd use pedals either. Let us know how it turns out.

speedking

Post by speedking » Sat Jun 15, 2002 11:07 pm

uh...sorry.... the url is: www.engl-amps.com

well...they are fantastic amps...maybe I can get all out of it because I use it with a marshall 1933 1x12" cab...next week I'll be a happy owner of a 1970 Basketweave or a '70s Orange cab...i'll see what I'll decide...but i think it will be marshall... :)))

well...then I think the amp will be able to better express himself... :)))

but I kinda feel sorry for the three other channels which I don't use... :))) in fact that's the amp that Blackmoore now uses, but 50w instead of 100w...warm tone...

the eBay I don' think that work here...we have a personal "eBay" caled "Bolha", but we have only 2 million of inhabitants and try to imagine how much of them play guitar and how much of this guitar players will be able to pay $750 for an amp head...hmmmm...

first step the cab...
...then we'll see with the head...

...another thing...what do you think I must be attentive at when I'll go to check out the '69 100c??? if it's a plexi or not, if it's really that year, that model,...

thanx for help

bOr