At last!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

davelangdon

Post by davelangdon » Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:39 pm

I have finally got an Orange slave amp.It's about 1973 120 graphic "pics + text" style. It has been hiding in a loft for at least 10 years and had very little use. The output valves were a mixed set, 2 of them being the (original?) mazda ones. I put in another set of 4 that I have been using in another amp before I powered it up. This amp has the same circuit board as the graphic etc, it also uses 2 ecc83 valves (1 1/2) so it's only missing the pots, sockets and a few components to make it into a graphic or Matamp gt 120. I just need a new front panel.
I am using it as a slave on my Hammond organ, so I didn't expect it to sound much different to my other 100 valve amp. Boy, was I wrong! This amp is so smooth and tight on the bottom end. No harsh treble, and so much guts in the mid range. I've just ordered a new matched quad of valves for the thing. It's in great condition for its age, no marks or tears in the tolex etc. So I may get the boys at Matamp to do the front end mod on it for me, providing I can get a proper front panel, which may be tricky.
Any ideas for this anyone? Dave.

Meole
Orange Master

Post by Meole » Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:55 pm

Matamp will probably help you out with the front panel as well.
They will be able to make you one, if you can't get one.
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>It has been hiding in a loft for at least 10 years and had very little use. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
Did you find it, was it given to you, or did you buy it?

davelangdon

Post by davelangdon » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:23 pm

Hello Meole, no I wasn't given it or just find it, that would have been 10 Christmases all at once! I bought it from a guy that hires backline gear, and he was clearing out stuff that he hadn't used for years. It cost me about $400 US, which considering it is in such good condition I think was a fair price.
I shall give Matamp a call, thanks Dave.