Most over-rated well know guitarist...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

MarcusBlacksmith
Orange Master

Post by MarcusBlacksmith » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:59 am

Okay, I'll bite.

No particular culprit in mind...but, every 'new gen' guitarist who plays straight beats with minor chords and considers themselves the 'experimental and melancholy'.

Guys, Roy Orbison nailed being sad in the 60's, and Elvis Costello nailed experimental melancholy in the 70's. And both of them knew how to use a major chord as a counterpoint to a minor ;)
She led me out to the Bikini Atoll, right to the edge of the exclusion zone, and pointed to a dandelion growing in the ashes, like a joke for the living.

'ey, Gringo. This ain't no fancypants Italian Cartel. Viva La Mehico and the Rockerverb Cartel!

Made Man: Blind Miguel

LeonC
Orange Master

Post by LeonC » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:59 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MarcusBlacksmith</i>
<br />No particular culprit in mind...but, every 'new gen' guitarist who plays straight beats with minor chords and considers themselves the 'experimental and melancholy'.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

hahah! I'm with you there, LOL, pretty funny description. I just don't like the guys who never fit any improvisation into their music or who improvise/solo poorly--they're just "half musicians" in my book. That's such an important part of being a 'modern' musician IMO, and anyone who doesn't incorporate that into their music will almost always wind up disappointing me.

I've got a love/hate thing about Carlos' playing. I love what he created 35 years ago...and I hate how his playing hasn't evolved in over 25 years. He's like a caricature of himself at this point.

Bentfinger
Orange Master

Post by Bentfinger » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:15 am

Slash . Can't see the big deal with a guy who ripped off Marc Bolan's tophat...
Steve Vai is a great player, but most of his stuff is hard to listen to at times.
Neal Young can write but his tone sux.
http://www.myspace.com/fragilexrock
www.reverbnation.com/fragilex

"I Wanted To Be A Rock Star, But I Must of Been Standing In The Wrong Line"

Mofmog
Tiny Terror

Post by Mofmog » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:50 am

I actually like many of the guitarists mentioned here. They had something to offer and I actually like most of their tones. BUT THE GUY WHO GETS ON NERVES IS STEVE VAI.

Look, I don't care if you have a fricken PhD. in music. No amount of theory, schooling or technical talent can make up for the fact that your song writing is both anemic and masturbatory at the same time. Yea, that whole "connection with your instrument" thing only works when the audience can sit through the first minute of listening to you. At least Satch wrote some pretty catchy guitar tunes.

(BTW the sitar on For the Love of God sounds like MIDI)

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:54 am

I'm sorry if I offend anybody with this, but I'm going to vote for Dimebag Darrel. What the hell does anybody see in this guys guitar playing? He reminds me of somebody who would be more at place rumaging through my trash for a tidbit than somebody who should have graced so many guitar mag covers in the 90's...My theory is that there was such a sh**y selection to choose from at the time, and that he just defaulted as the lesser of several evils.

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:59 am

Oh yeah - this thread is a real winner! Great idea! (much sarcasm intended). :x
Greg

BrianFantana
Orange Master

Post by BrianFantana » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:07 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Norrin Radd</i>
<br />Oh yeah - this thread is a real winner! Great idea! (much sarcasm intended). :x

No offense, but if you dislike this particular thread so much, why continue to post on it?

Not trying to make any enemies, just making an observation.

customandrew
Orange Master

Post by customandrew » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:21 am

this thread does suck lol
Orange Rockerverb 50h
Orange PPC212
Gibson ES-335
Fender Strato
<i>Increase The Dosage, Count Back From Ten.</i>
<i> www.myspace.com/williamandrewmusic </i>

<i> http://www.myspace.com/thegrowingrobotpopulation</i>

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:22 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BrianFantana</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Norrin Radd</i>
<br />Oh yeah - this thread is a real winner! Great idea! (much sarcasm intended). :x

No offense, but if you dislike this particular thread so much, why continue to post on it?

I'm hoping it gets killed! Locked and gone away!!! ;)

Seriously though, it's such a subjective personal preferences type of question and really only serves to raise the ire of those who may like a particular artisit who gets bashed. For example, if I were a huge Kenny G fan and everyone here started bashing Kenny G, I might feel personally attacked (even though I shouldn't - personally I'm a little more thick skinnned than that- you have to be if you like PRS and are willing to stick around here! [:p])

I just dislilke the animosity that such a thread can create. I mean look above - Jimmy Page over rated? Jeff Beck over rated? Wow. What about the guy from Ugly Kid Joe? Right - the thread really only hits on guys who are <i>very</i> well known to begin with. And I think anyone that well known is probably not "over rated" and is well known for a good reason. Again though, just my two cents.

Oh, and just becasue I "don't like it" doesn't mean I won't visit and post on it. After all, If I didn't, how could I answer direct questions (like yours ;) )?

And no worries either, I'm not easily offended! 8)
Greg

MarcusBlacksmith
Orange Master

Post by MarcusBlacksmith » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:29 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I actually like many of the guitarists mentioned here. They had something to offer and I actually like most of their tones. BUT THE GUY WHO GETS ON NERVES IS STEVE VAI.

Look, I don't care if you have a fricken PhD. in music. No amount of theory, schooling or technical talent can make up for the fact that your song writing is both anemic and masturbatory at the same time. Yea, that whole "connection with your instrument" thing only works when the audience can sit through the first minute of listening to you. At least Satch wrote some pretty catchy guitar tunes.

(BTW the sitar on For the Love of God sounds like MIDI)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Steve Vai was a good guitarist when he stuck to playing the solos for Frank Zappa in the early 80s.

Once he went his own way, he kept the same sound but lost all the originality and dirty words :D
She led me out to the Bikini Atoll, right to the edge of the exclusion zone, and pointed to a dandelion growing in the ashes, like a joke for the living.

'ey, Gringo. This ain't no fancypants Italian Cartel. Viva La Mehico and the Rockerverb Cartel!

Made Man: Blind Miguel

BrianFantana
Orange Master

Post by BrianFantana » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:34 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Norrin Radd</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BrianFantana</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Norrin Radd</i>

I'm hoping it gets killed! Locked and gone away!!! ;)

Seriously though, it's such a subjective personal preferences type of question and really only serves to raise the ire of those who may like a particular artisit who gets bashed. For example, if I were a huge Kenny G fan and everyone here started bashing Kenny G, I might feel personally attacked (even though I shouldn't - personally I'm a little more thick skinnned than that- you have to be if you like PRS and are willing to stick around here! [:p])

I just dislilke the animosity that such a thread can create. I mean look above - Jimmy Page over rated? Jeff Beck over rated? Wow. What about the guy from Ugly Kid Joe? Right - the thread really only hits on guys who are <i>very</i> well known to begin with. And I think anyone that well known is probably not "over rated" and is well known for a good reason. Again though, just my two cents.

Oh, and just becasue I "don't like it" doesn't mean I won't visit and post on it. After all, If I didn't, how could I answer direct questions (like yours ;) )?

And no worries either, I'm not easily offended! 8)

Thanks for your intelligent and polite response.

Lets be friends!!! :D

customandrew
Orange Master

Post by customandrew » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:11 am

[/quote]

Thanks for your intelligent and polite response.

Lets be friends!!! :D
[/quote]

agreed
Orange Rockerverb 50h
Orange PPC212
Gibson ES-335
Fender Strato
<i>Increase The Dosage, Count Back From Ten.</i>
<i> www.myspace.com/williamandrewmusic </i>

<i> http://www.myspace.com/thegrowingrobotpopulation</i>

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:06 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">What about the guy from Ugly Kid Joe? Right - the thread really only hits on guys who are very well known to begin with. And I think anyone that well known is probably not "over rated" and is well known for a good reason. Again though, just my two cents.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
Naa, I don't agree. How could I find the guitarist from Ugly kid joe overrated when I don't even know who it is?
I'm talking about the meaning of the word here.
Last time I saw or heard anything about that guitarist was about in '92 when I last saw the video to Cats in the cradle. Not overrated! ;)

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Lets be friends!!!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
I believe two can have different opinions and still be friends! :D
Let's sing combaya! ;)

Doombass, I couldn't quote you now, your post was too far back. Anyway, I don't know much about Janne Schaffer at all tbh so I have no opinion. I recently saw a commercial on TV about a documentary about him. I'd like to see it but I guess I have already missed it.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

renton
Rocker

Post by renton » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:34 pm

Jimi hendrix???
Markus

Satanic_Versus
Orange Master

Post by Satanic_Versus » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:53 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Luke</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by teenagekick</i>
<br />Jimi page is a guitar legend! He can play anything you throw at him and his improvising is just mind numbingly incredible. Listen to heartbreaker live in “how the west was wonâ€