orange ad140tc

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

echonaut

Post by echonaut » Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:11 pm

hi to all orange fans!

first of all: i m from northern germany, so my english maybe very bad for some users, so sorry for that! hopefully you understand my questions!

i got two old orange tops (or120 and or120 overdrive). i love both of them but i m thinking about, buying a ad140tc top. i m tired of carrying these heavy tops to get 2 different tones (i m getting older and my arms looking like kermit the frog;-). anyway, the clean top is to loud, cause it had no mastervolume. mostly i use the overdrive top with the crunchy tone and boost it with a 1)carl martin hot boost & drive mk2, 2) mxr - treble boost or 3) reussenzehn daniel d tube booster (reussenzehn is a german tube god! www.reussenzehn.de). i read in this community, that the new orange tops did not sound like the old ones. but thats not, what i want after buying this amp. i want a two channel amp, with classic tube sounds and 2 different channels (sometimes one clean and one crunchy; sometimes one crunchy and the next a little bit more crunchy or even louder...). it is not possible for me, to test this amp at a dealer next to me. so buying or leaving is the way. i think, i could not be big mistake, buying an orange amp. i love the old ones but how good are the new ones? could anyone tell me something about the sound and quality? how difficult is changing the tubes? questions about questions! may anyone help me???
thank you for your support!

grettings

holgi

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:16 pm

I think the new Oranges sound great and I had been using an old OR80 head for years. I love my AD140TC- I think you can make it sound like any Orange- and the sound of the thing is phoenominal. You'll love it... Billy

Lizard
Rocker

Post by Lizard » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:30 am

I currently use the AD30 + 2x12 orange cab. Its a great set up but at some point soon I will get the AD140TC. It looks really sweet.

Billy - Do you know how the combination works with the AD140 head + a 2x12 cab rather than the 4x12?

I have heard people say that the 2x12 orange cab is really good even compared to the orange 4x12.
Tour Manager - Guitar Technician

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:35 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Billy - Do you know how the combination works with the AD140 head + a 2x12 cab rather than the 4x12?

I have heard people say that the 2x12 orange cab is really good even compared to the orange 4x12.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Well, I <i>have</i> run my 140 through a Marshall 2X12 cab at practice just because I didn't relish the thought of lugging a 4X12 down a flight of stairs to our basement practice room. It sounded good but I worried about blowing the speakers- the cab is loaded with Vintage 30's which is a 120 watt load but... it worked and sounded fine. I think the 140 is happier when it's moving more than 2 speakers and when I used it with two 4X12's- yikes. What a sound....

It's definitely easier on the back. Billy