AD30 TC - a bit under powered?!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

monkey_boy

Post by monkey_boy » Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:14 am

I've got an Orange AD30 twin channel head, and i've gotta say - its a bit under powered - I have this baby cranked to the max and its too dang quiet! I mean its loud, but drums completely drown it out.

its only a month old, so theres not probs there.

Any ideas?

Lizard
Rocker

Post by Lizard » Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:33 pm

When you turn it on are all the tubes glowing. Make sure you check the pre amp tubes as well. What cab/s are you using with the head? You sure that the Watts + Ohms are matching? It sounds like something is really wrong cause I use an AD30R + an Orange 2x12 and that is loud enough for all gigs and practices we do.
Tour Manager - Guitar Technician

monkey_boy

Post by monkey_boy » Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:26 pm

I've managed to borrow a Mesa Boogie 4x12 so i'm gonna try it with that - and check all the valves and stuff.

Are you using the standard valves in yours?

justin
Tiny Terror

Post by justin » Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:58 pm

I used to think the same thing when I got my AD30HTC. I was using a 4x12 cab with Celestion greenbacks at the time. This setup was barely loud enough for a two-guitar band. Note that the greenbacks arene't too efficient. They work great for bringing down the volume a tad for high-power amps, but the AD30 needs to use efficient speakers to get the most out of it.

I bought an old orange cab it was loaded with G12T75's. Still these speakers only have a 97dB efficiency I believe. Out they went and I installed a quad of Vintage 30's (100dB sensitivity). Now the amp sings and can keep up with the band. Thay also sound like they were made for this amp! Actually, I'm guessing the AD30 was probably designed with V30's in mind. I highly recommend very efficient speakers with your amp.
AD30HTC
OR series 4x12 w/V30's

Meole
Orange Master

Post by Meole » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:19 am

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>I've managed to borrow a Mesa Boogie 4x12 so i'm gonna try it with that - and check all the valves and stuff.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

What were you using when you first tried it?
Speaker type, ohms, watts, wiring?