Utter blasphemy...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

grgurich
Tiny Terror

Post by grgurich » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:57 pm

I have an ad 15/12 that is about three years old now. Recently, I switched out the stock Vintage 30 for an Alnico Blue. The Vintage 30 is rated at 60 watts, the Blue at 15. Has anyone else done this sort of devil's work to their ad 15/12? If so, how comfortable are you in maxing the master and gain, i.e., a 15 watt, class A amp will supposedly put out more than its rated 15 watts; I've heard as much as 25. So what I want to know is, at what point exactly will I blow-up my $250 speaker, so I'll know when I'll be going without food for a month in order to get another one.

Really, any input is appreciated. Also, by the way, it sounds great.

JG
John

heyes_ra

Post by heyes_ra » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:33 pm

I'm no expert but I wouldn't think that a 15 watt speaker would be best if you are going to be cranking up the master.

I have an AD30TC combo (which is fantastic), but was considering an AD15 at first (due to obvious money issues) and I was advised to upgrade the speaker from the Vintage 30 to a Celestion Century to get that little extra power and volume out.

Rob

Meole
Orange Master

Post by Meole » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:45 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>I have an AD30TC combo (which is fantastic), but was considering an AD15 at first (due to obvious money issues) and I was
advised to upgrade the speaker from the Vintage 30 to a Celestion Century to get that little extra power and volume out. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

The AD30TC combo has 2 Vintage 30 speakers totaling 120 watts.
How does changing to 80 watt speakers get more power and volume out of the 30 watt amp?

Lizard
Rocker

Post by Lizard » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:29 pm

Personally, getting V30s with my AD30R was a bonus I though! I love the V30 speakers.
Tour Manager - Guitar Technician

grgurich
Tiny Terror

Post by grgurich » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:40 pm

I knew going into the switch-out that the 15 watt Blue wasn't ideal, but I really wanted to try it out. It's such a famous speaker, and really the standard for that Brit guitar tone. I'm not gigging out at the moment anyway, so it's not much of an issue right now, just maybe for the future.

JG
John

grgurich
Tiny Terror

Post by grgurich » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:47 pm

Discussion addendum...

I was just over at the Vox site. Vox, apparently, offers a 15 watt, class A amp that has the option for a 15 watt, Celestion Alnico loudspeaker. Now, if there was a chance of blowing out the speaker, would Vox offer it? With no warnings? What I'm saying is, my ad 15/12 with the Alnico couldn't do any worse than the Vox, right?

JG
John

grgurich
Tiny Terror

Post by grgurich » Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:09 pm

Sooner, your advice is as comprehensive as your serial number is impressive; I think mine is somewhere in the 300s. 349, maybe? I had to have the thing shipped from bloody old England, I know. The dealer network here at the time was lousy to lousier.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts.

JG
John

grgurich
Tiny Terror

Post by grgurich » Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:02 pm

UPDATE: So I've been running my ad 15/12 with the Blue installed fairly hard now for a week or so. Specifically, I've been playing it with either the Gain at 12 o'clock, and the Master maxed, or vice-versa. Very loud. I wonder what sort of amperage I'm generating at these settings, specifically the one with the Master maxed. Anyone have any ideas? Regardless, the sound is phenomenal. Not necessarily better than the Vintage 30, but definitely different. Harder and tighter. And I haven't even blown anything to bits yet.

JG
John

Lord Crestwood

Post by Lord Crestwood » Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:08 pm

Celestion Blues are hardy speakers and can handle a lot more than 15 watts after they've been broken in. Some people have used them in 80 watt Twin Reverbs with great results, although you'd be pushing your luck using them in an amp that powerful.

grgurich
Tiny Terror

Post by grgurich » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:20 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. Can't treat your equipment so delicately that you don't get any enjoyment out of it. I mean, what's the point of that? Instruments are tools, not museum pieces.

JG
John