or120 heat...¿?¿?¿?*

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

spookybonus

Post by spookybonus » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:08 pm

okay, so i got an or120 (about a 97) and it gets pretty damn hot after about 30 minutes...it just has the small little vent in the back, not the whole back vent like the newer ones...anyways, should it be getting actually HOT? since there are no top vents i guess it traps in more heat, i know it should be pretty warm but its pretty hot...my marshall dosent get that hot but it has the vents on the top and back...is that normal?
thanks for the help...

Meole
Orange Master

Post by Meole » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:50 pm

Heat is a by product of tube amps. The tubes get really hot.
As long as the amp is running fine there shouldn't be a problem.
It should have enough venting in it so it won't catch fire.
More venting doesn't reduce the amount of heat a tube radiates,
it just lets it out of the amp faster.

spookybonus

Post by spookybonus » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:52 pm

yeah i know that tubes get hot...but its actually getting so hot that the glue is starting to let go of the tolex on the inside right above the tubes...its not getting hot enough to catch fire but its quite a bit hotter than my tube marshall head...

Meole
Orange Master

Post by Meole » Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:50 pm

The heat will soften the tolex and make the glue malleable on my amps too. The glue has not let go yet.
A friends Marshall has had this problem. Bad glue or not enough.
The tolex on the inside corners is lifting off. You can push the tolex back, but it will lift soon after.
The glue still has some tack. Maybe they put the tolex on too early and the glue didn't properly set.
I don't know about putting more vents in your amp. It's up to you if you want to modify it.
Try re-gluing the tolex, or at the very worst staple it if its in an unseen area.

spookybonus

Post by spookybonus » Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:59 pm

okay cool, i didint think it was too big of a problem since its still working just fine, no way would i add more vents...thanks for the reply

Rally Car
Orange Expert

Post by Rally Car » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:11 am

I have a Vintage Or120 and It also gets very hot. When I use a power break and overdrive the amp it gets hotter than it should, Its starting to brown the inside of the head cab and the faceplate gets almost stove tempatrue almost too hot to touch, I've asked a tech about it and he said it might have somthing to do with the fact that I just got the caps replaced, He said somtimes new caps will run at a higher voltage and run the tubes too hot. If anyone has any other sugestions on what it might be I would also like to know.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:34 pm

my vintage OR80M gets very hot as well. I pulled the screws out of the back panel and remove it at gigs.

spookybonus

Post by spookybonus » Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:58 pm

<font color=green>okay so i found out i was running my head at 16 ohms and my cab is only 8 ohm...i think...thes damn ohms are tricky...so im guessing that caused the excessive heating?? we'll see, i'll run it at 8 ohms tonight
thanks for the help guys
</font id=green>