Considering building my own true-bypass loop switcher

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

groundmeat
Tiny Terror

Considering building my own true-bypass loop switcher

Post by groundmeat » Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:56 am

I am still in the process of trying to get a pedalboard fleshed out. At this point, I think I have enough saved to purchase the huge power supply I'm going to need for the main front-of-amp board. I don't even have a board yet, I might do some woodworking and make one, not sure yet. But I'm also going to have a smaller amp-loop board for things like volume pedal, tremolo, delays, reverbs, with a smaller power supply, one with 18v outs for the delay and reverb to sound best. The power supply for the large board might be tricky because I'll need two 12v outs to combine to power my 24v Deluxe Electric Mistress flanger. I don't think it'll be a problem though. I've seen these big massive Walrus Audio Phoenix power supplys with about 14 outputs, 2 of which can switch to 12v or 9v. I think theres a Voodoo Labs one with something similar, also Fender has one called the Engine Room 12 with 2 outs that are switchable to 12v each.

But considering I'm going to have so many pedals on the main board, and some of them are older ones with LOTS of tone suck about them, I'd like to have a switch I could use to remove groups of things from the chain, especially my old EHX green russian bubble font Big Muff. When it's off, it kills so much of my top end, and I'm already using a rangemaster style boost trying to get a more piercing top end from my Rockerverb mk3 at lower volumes.

Anyway, I've found plans for a switch box I want to do. This is my first time ever doing something like this. I've found a source for the enclosure, the jacks, the resistors, the LEDs... I just need the 3pdt latching footswitch buttons. The catch: it's gotta be something on Amazon. That's where my money for this projects tied up at. I've seen several varieties on there, prices are all over the place. Usually price would indicate "quality"... but not always, not anymore. I've seen reviews saying these or those create too much of a pop when you hit them and theres no way to alleviate it with resistors or anything. But... I'm a newbie at this, I don't know what to think.

So does anyone here have any experience with this? Could someone recommend the best 3pdt switches on Amazon to use for something like this, something with as little pop as possible, something good. I'm not concerned about price when it comes to what Amazon has, more concerned about quality. It almost seems like NONE of it is good quality. If I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO, I can maybe get them from someplace else, but I'd prefer to stick to Amazon.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Considering building my own true-bypass loop switcher

Post by Jondog » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:36 pm

I’ve built lots of pedals and switch boxes. I’ve bought from several places and mostly find them all the same unless you’re looking for a special feature (low profile, PCB mount, momentary etc…). Being mechanical, theres really no guarantee on longevity. A top quality switch is fairly expensive, but most pedals have the same generic ones that cost a couple bucks each. Make sure you pay attention not to create a ground loop in your wiring. Its easy for beginners to miss this because its not always apparent.

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:10 am

Not trying to discourage you but if you've never built anything like this before, perhaps spend your money on an actual pedal switcher that may include some presets and maybe some other nice features.

At the same time you could try your hand at a small loop switcher to see how it comes together with potential amazon components. Might help you see what the quality is like and how you'd go about building a bigger one for your board. You could always make some money back on a switcher you buy on Amazon.

Usually I buy those components from electrical component sales like RS or whatever you have in the US rather than amazon.

Best of luck with it in any case

B

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:55 pm

You're proposing to build something that isn't a straightforward build.

Have you ever built an fx at all?
There are many opportunities to mess up a complicated wiring build, making debugging a potential nightmare.

I don't want to discourage you, but I'd recommend you'd start with a simple fx build. They're really good fun too, and would give you some confidence going for a loop switcher.

Also, you will need a multi meter if you haven't got one already.

Sounds like a really exciting project, best of luck!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute