modify an orange 212PPC? Vertical. casters, more handles, locking corners

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

everdrone
Orange Expert

modify an orange 212PPC? Vertical. casters, more handles, locking corners

Post by everdrone » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:46 pm

I own two orange 212PPCs. I turn them on their sides and stack them. They slip on the floor and between themselves so I used rubber mats, but I am buying corners that lock together. I plan to get handles on one cab, so I can turn sideways and then lift and not hurt my back....ya 4 handles on one cab may detract some tone and air space... Bulky! Health first. Also, I plan to get fastener adjustable strap cord to keep the head on top fastened down strapped on to the new handles to help when people bump/nudge into my stack.

Was wondering if anyone had any insights on this. Thanks :D
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

everdrone
Orange Expert

Re: modify an orange 212PPC? Vertical. casters, more handles, locking corners

Post by everdrone » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:48 pm

my cabs:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... lsrc=aw.ds

my corners I plan to add, they are the same as my gallien ultralight gallien ultralight mbe410s:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifi ... -with-horn

plan to also get removable casters on one cab so I can wheel around the whole rig in the small bars :mrgreen: might be too much weight on those casters though...might not get the casters and keep using my rocknroller dolly

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:45 pm

Precisely why I switched to a PPC212V :)

You are brave to modify such an expensive cabinet. If you ever plan to resell you will need to find the specific buyer as it would kill the value in my eyes.

Your mods make sense to me though. I had one for years and loved the sound but hated the size and weight (Still regret selling it TBH). Only thing is the castors on the shorter side might make the cab pretty unstable especially if you are rolling over an uneven surface. Maybe you could put the castors over the current Orange skids. That way you can roll both cabs in with much more stability and then stand them up on stage. I like the idea of handles on the top and bottom as it would greatly improve the ability to fit through doors when hauling alone.

If it were me? I would sell both the cabs and pickup something more suited to your use case. If you are in the states, I suggest a Port City OS212V :) I'm a big fan. They sound massive! Even with standard weight speakers they are lighter and more manageable than the PPC212C. You should only need one as well as they are closer to the sound and projection of a 412 IME and much less directional as well thanks to the ports. You might make out with some extra cash in your pocket as well depending on the condition of your Orange cabs.

Good luck either way. Please post pics if you are going to chop up those beautiful Orange cabs. I would be interested in seeing how it turns out.

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:53 pm

thanks bud for the great answer!

Im all over the place, I have to admit :D :D :D :D :D :D

its hard to believe how expensive cabs are now...prices creeped up to $850! I love the locking corners on my bass cabs. Ill put some pics below. Kinda wanting to carve up my bass cab with side handles too. Humping gear is not ideal....aint rich, just a crazy music dude

ya 70 pounds of bulkiness and turning/stacking sideways is a good way to strain/sprain your back, and then at that point it does not matter how good the tone is lol!

My last doom band was tuned to C Standard and they all had issues with my 212 and thunderverb 50 not sounding as big as the other guitarist's 100 watt 412. Doom bands are really picky when it comes to gear, needing to stay as vintage and low gain high wattage as possible, really Or120 or Sunn Model T or other similar 100 watt stack realms and beyond...avoiding the compression of the higher gain amps like my thunderverb lol.

Probably need to stay with traditional doom or classic rock and stay in standard tuning so I dont get that type of band member feedback.

Awesome your 212 vertical cab works for you! Was thinking about the Matamp vertical 212 and Matamp gt1 since it does nonmaster volume to get the dynamics of the fuzz pedals and 50 watts and 100 watts via switching but ya there is a million different options, I like that ported cab you recommended and have thought about ported cabs over the last 12 years. I see even Friedman has a ported cab. Ya engineers can do wonders. In my cover band I have been using IEMs and a guitar amp modeler so I hear everything perfect. But that is not gonna fly for doom, so I have been wishing they will let me use my Torpedo Captor X and Alto powered PA speakers...that would be perfect since they are way more portable with handles on top and sides and can get the sound guy the 412 type tones without snare drum and other instruments leaking through the mic, so better mix really but ya not purist at all.

no the printer is not musical lol:

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:11 pm

Yes prices are insane that's for sure. I bought my PPC212C before the major price jump, I think it had UK made V30's in it too. Regret selling that one for sure but is what it is.

I would not recommend the PPC212V for your doom band. You won't be satisfied with the low end. The Port City OS212 however... I think that one will make you smile. Huge sound and nice tight low end projection in a narrow package and a bit lighter than the PPC212C (similar output but less scooped compared to my PPC412). The PPC412 sound thick and massive, but not in a good way IMO. I could never dial out the mud no matter what amp I played through. I got one of the OS212V cabs used 5+ years ago for an unbelievable deal and it was incredible. I sold it off recently and picked up one of their OS112 cabs. Expensive yes, but the quest for a portable/massive sounding 112 has ended.

Sweet looking tower :) I sold off my Orange 612 stack about 2 years ago. I do sometimes miss how ridiculous it looked though hah.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:51 pm

+1 for the Port City oversize vertical for a nice manageable cab that sounds big. I built a clone and I wish I never got rid of it! Sold it to a guy that played through it and loved it, figured I could always build another one, time has been the issue however… I had some WGS Reaper HP’s in it that sounded great!

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:34 pm

Thanks those cabs sound cool! ya that port city 212OS seems like the cats pajamas...easier to move and wow great reviews from yall. Even cooler that yall can clone them. Being in my mid-40s I am rethinking my rig in terms of genre and portability...I think I would want help moving my PPC212s but that is not an option... I am doing my low back exercises like deadlifts I promise haha :D