NCD!!! Finally found one I like :D

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

NCD!!! Finally found one I like :D

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue May 18, 2021 4:50 pm

Hello Everyone,

A mountain of cabs later, I saved up and finally pulled the trigger on a Port City OS112. IT'S FANTASTIC!!! Much smaller than I expected and actually pretty light. I had the OS212 for a number of years but it was a bit unwieldy (best sounding cab I've ever owned though).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CgW2nr4KjQwwYem37

I chucked in a Governor and it sounds massive. Pretty directional but I truly don't think that's much of an issue anymore as we will be using it mostly for live full band sessions and this should help to keep the sound controlled (less bleed in the overheads).

In an effort to drop the weight even more I'm going to order one of the new Neo V-Type speakers and see how it goes. I've already got a pair of neo creambacks so something a little different will be nice.

Anyone in the states looking for a cab (still worth it to import elsewhere, but can get a bit pricy depending on your country/exchange rate) should check these guys out. Simply massive sounding cabs, and great build quality unlike the last two cabs I ordered from another highly regarded builder. Daniel (owner) was great to work and very quick to respond to emails.

bfitz
Orange Expert

Re: NCD!!! Finally found one I like :D

Post by bfitz » Wed May 19, 2021 12:58 pm

nice wan lad!

Congrats :)

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed May 19, 2021 1:33 pm

Nice. I built an OS212 clone several years ago and it was a great sounding cab. Other people wanted it, I eventually sold it. Been thinking about making a 112, but not sure if its what I want and its a bit of work. 112’s have always sounded boxy to me, but the Port City makes me curious if it would sound bigger.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed May 19, 2021 3:11 pm

A bit boxy at lower volumes for sure but really opens up once you turn up the volume.

***Jammed for about 30 minutes at lunch and man is this cab incredible. What is really shocking me and I'm not sure if it's the cab or the fact that I installed something that isn't a Celestion, but I feel like the volume is loud or louder than I normally practice yet my ears did not hurt/fatigue. Usually with my Orange cabs even after a few minutes my ears start to hurt and I have to turn things down. I think I finally understand the signature Celestion "harsh but cutting" tone. This leads me to believe the Governer might have trouble poking through a busy mix, but man it sounds fantastic on it's own.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu May 20, 2021 8:44 am

Sounds like a great find!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue May 25, 2021 11:54 pm

Well the neo V-Type just came in and here are some thoughts comparing the two.

In favor of the neo V-Type:

- The V is more open and clear sounding than the G and has a touch more top end response/fizz. Neither speaker brings out the fizzy nature of the TT with this cab though. The G sounds more "narrow" and is a touch muddy in the lower mids.

- The V is of course 6 lbs lighter which is amazing! Doesn't seems like much on paper but you can really feel it when lifting the cab.

- Not sure if this is possible in the same cab but the V seems less directional. While walking around the room the top end from the V filled the space more, almost like it was in an open back cab. The G sounded more like a sealed cab (more directional with big punchy low-end). Very interesting.

In favor of the Governor:

- The G sounds more saturated with the same amp settings but retains high string definition much better. The high e was completely lost through the V. The tone from the V kind of reminds me of the Avatar Cube with a UK greenback I owned for a short time. It was way too muddy to run with the TT.

- The G is punchy and feels better to play. When I dig in it's more satisfying, kind of like there is a light compressor in the chain. The V seems more subdued on the dynamic front, the notes don't jump out like they do with the G.

- Build quality on the G is better. I'm not sure if I got a used speaker but there is rust forming around some of the screw holes on the back. It doesn't appear to have any mounting scratches or anything like that. I'm thinking maybe an issue with the coating on the frame and was exposed to some moisture on the way over. Everything else seems fine but still worth noting.

- The G had that glorious new speaker smell, where the V smelled like nothing during my testing hah. Maybe they sent me a speaker that was returned.

Down the middle:

- The G is much louder of course with 102.3 sensitivity vs 98. This is good or bad depending on who you are. More clean headroom with the G, but more amp breakup on the V.

- The G has WAY more low end than the V (maybe too much now that I'm comparing the two). The G sounds massive in the PC cab, where as the V has a tight low end which is comparable to other 112 cabs/combos I've tried (kind of reminds me of the v30 in my R30C TBH). I need to see how it sits in a mix before I'll know for sure. Should be able to get jamming and recording again in about a month so time will tell.

Conclusion:

I think for now I will put the Governor back in the cab. It sounds massive and has a more satisfying feeling under the fingers.

***Update: Put the governer back in my gawd, incredible speaker in this cab. Bye bye neo!