AD30 pre-amp tubes

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bfitz
Orange Expert

AD30 pre-amp tubes

Post by bfitz » Wed May 12, 2021 3:01 pm

Its looking like tube time for the AD30, busted it out yesterday and there was a bit of a scratchy sound out of it. In fairness that could be dust but it has been covered for the last few months since the little one's arrival

Was thinking I might just order a few new ones to have anyway SO what are the opinions of other Orange Amp users here?! I would have normally just ordered a few JJ 12ax7's but I'm wondering if putting a 12 AT 7 in v1 would reduce the gain a little and if there is any value looking at at least one NOS tube for that spot and maybe some other brand?

Ive used JJ's in nearly everything over the years and found them to be both reliable and even though they are supposed to have a darker character, ive liked them better than EHX or Tung Sols'

I see Watford valves advertising a lot of Harma valves and cryo valves which i have no idea about. Any thoughts on these alternatives?

B

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: AD30 pre-amp tubes

Post by bclaire » Wed May 12, 2021 7:47 pm

I just get JJ's for my AD30TC... I find that when I put in new tubes, the difference is startling enough from the older tubes that had slowly changed character despite being the same brand of tubes...

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu May 13, 2021 2:05 pm

I find with a 12AT7 it’s a bit too much, takes some life out of the amp. I prefer to use a 5751, it’s less gain than a 12AX7, and a bit more musical to my ears than a 12AT7.

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Thu May 13, 2021 8:40 pm

bclaire wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:47 pm
I just get JJ's for my AD30TC... I find that when I put in new tubes, the difference is startling enough from the older tubes that had slowly changed character despite being the same brand of tubes...
They are just dependable aren't they? Might make the order this evening and see where we are.
Jondog wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 2:05 pm
I find with a 12AT7 it’s a bit too much, takes some life out of the amp. I prefer to use a 5751, it’s less gain than a 12AX7, and a bit more musical to my ears than a 12AT7.
Have you done that with the R30? It's just that putting delay and reverb in the front end of the amp I kinda don't mind power tube break up but want to keep the pre-amp cleaner than it currently is.

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri May 14, 2021 10:42 am

bfitz wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 8:40 pm
bclaire wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:47 pm
They are just dependable aren't they? Might make the order this evening and see where we are.
Jondog wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 2:05 pm
Have you done that with the R30? It's just that putting delay and reverb in the front end of the amp I kinda don't mind power tube break up but want to keep the pre-amp cleaner than it currently is.
I have in the past. But really, I just use the gain knob on the amp to clean it up with 12AX7’s and I’m able to do that nicely on the Rocker 30.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu May 20, 2021 8:50 am

I personally will steer clear from the JJ ECC83s.

I find it disappointing and bland. It just lacks top end, lacks bass, though it has usually very low microphony.

The Harma valves are good.
They will be a variation of new sensor/Russian valves (electro harmonix, sovtek...),but will have been tested and selected. In theory, less chance of getting a bad one.

I prefer the new sensor valves from new production preamp valves.

As for power valves, JJ, as all others, are good.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute