Delay Roundup

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bfitz
Orange Expert

Delay Roundup

Post by bfitz » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:45 pm

Interested to see what everyone's using in their delay configuration

Currently have a mxr carbon copy placed after a catalinbread echorec for my ethereal vibes. But I had been using a DD6 instead of the echorec and kinda wonder should I go back to it or another digital delay. I had really good results with it.

B

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: Delay Roundup

Post by Boy_Narf » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:21 am

Timeline has been the longest in my life for sure. Got it when it came out and still own it. I also dig the Ibanez mini pink delay and the El Capistan. If I'm in the mood for delay I usually reach for the cap as it's easier to get a good sound and tweak it quickly (I really like the built in spring reverb, adds a ton of ambience).

I did fully dismantle my board a few months back. I've become addicted to plugging any Jr into the front of the amp and honestly don't miss the pedals much. I guess at this exact moment my favorite delay is no delay :D

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:58 am

I've used my TC Electronics G-System for delays until I put together a pedalboard for my acoustic show and I have an Akai Headrush - looping pedal but a really good delay line!

But the G-System is my main go-to effects for electric.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:22 pm

Really like my Boss DD-7. Sounds great and has all the features I want. If I feel the need for a 2nd delay, my Boss RV-6 has a decent delay setting.

groundmeat
Tiny Terror

Post by groundmeat » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:04 pm

I don't use a lot of delay currently. I mostly like reverb. And sure you can stack reverb and delay together, plenty of people do, but I kinda prefer to use only one or the other at any time so it stands out better. Used together, it starts to kinda "blur" the sound a little too much for my tastes.

Mostly I'm using an Electro-Harmonix Canyon delay. It's digital, but it does a good enough job of emulating the degrading repeats of an analog delay. Plus it has several different "modes" for tape echo emulation, shimmer echo, reverse echo, etc etc, and that's fun to play with. When I started playing in the 90's, most pedals were around 100 bucks. Today, pedals have gotten kinda outrageously priced in my opinion. But the EHX stuff still tends to be reasonably priced. And the Canyon delay goes for about 150 dollars. I bought one used for 100. You can get something like a simple Boss DM2 with 3 knobs, or one of the other Boss digital delays that have "modes", but they aren't as fun and versatile as the EHX Canyon in my opinion. "MO' FO' yo MONEY", son.

I also have a analog delay pedal. Way Huge Supa-Puss. It's kinda pricey, paid about 260 for it. It has a separate tap tempo button on it, which is kinda why I wanted it. But the controls aren't as linear and predictable as a digital delay. Tweaking it down around the really short-time range can be aggravating. You turn the knob and the time stays the same. I dunno, maybe I'm using it wrong or something. And the sound quality isn't really any better than the EHX Canyon from what I hear. It's been quite a while since I've used it. It's sitting on the desk with an inch of dust covering it.

Kinda wish I had one of those Catalinbread Echorec pedals. Catalinbread pedals tend to be overpriced in my opinion, but they are some of the BEST pedals made, so I don't feel quite so hosed when buying them. I know they'll be pedals I'll use FOREVER, it won't be something I'll get bored of, so I'll get my moneys worth out of it. I bought one of their Talisman plate reverbs. I love love love love it. Their Topanga spring reverb pedal is really cool too. If you don't have a spring reverb on your amp, the Topanga is literally indistinguishable from a real spring reverb tank.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:16 pm

Now I'm thinking about why I still own an Echoplex.....

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:00 am

bclaire wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:16 pm
I'd say they sound amazing though? I've never heard real tape echo other than demos or on records. They look cumbersome but damn if your in the studio then why not!?

Kinda like the fuzz roundup it's cool how many approaches and options there are to delay. I'm probably going to end up seeking out a flashback 2 just to have a catch all kinda pedal. I'd love a time line or a volante but they are pretty expensive and they take up a fair bit of board real estate. No taking away from them tho the strymon stuff is nothing short of amazing.

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:55 am

bfitz wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:00 am
bclaire wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:16 pm
I'd say they sound amazing though? I've never heard real tape echo other than demos or on records. They look cumbersome but damn if your in the studio then why not!?

Kinda like the fuzz roundup it's cool how many approaches and options there are to delay. I'm probably going to end up seeking out a flashback 2 just to have a catch all kinda pedal. I'd love a time line or a volante but they are pretty expensive and they take up a fair bit of board real estate. No taking away from them tho the strymon stuff is nothing short of amazing.
At one point, I had three Echoplexes...! I listed them all on ebay and two of them sold. Ironically, the one that didn't sell was the best-sounding one!

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:05 pm

bclaire wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:55 am

At one point, I had three Echoplexes...! I listed them all on ebay and two of them sold. Ironically, the one that didn't sell was the best-sounding one!
You use it with your AD30s? I'd imagine you'd want a fair bit of clean headroom to get the most out of one of those? Or how do you set it up? Cos the preamp is the magic in them or so the Internet says :lol:

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:52 pm

I'm still using my Vox Time Machine.

Great sound, tap tempo with super long repeats, and sounds very good.

I love it set to do a very clean repeat or 2 when clean picking.... really comes into it's own.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:27 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:52 pm

I love it set to do a very clean repeat or 2 when clean picking.... really comes into it's own.
That is a great pedal, I bought one when they first came out. I regret selling it.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:28 pm

Jondog wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:27 pm
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:52 pm

That is a great pedal, I bought one when they first came out. I regret selling it.
I like it quite a bit too.

For what I do, it's excellent. Simple an easy to use, sounds great. The separate tap tempo switch really is a great feature.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:19 am

bfitz wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:05 pm
bclaire wrote:

You use it with your AD30s? I'd imagine you'd want a fair bit of clean headroom to get the most out of one of those? Or how do you set it up? Cos the preamp is the magic in them or so the Internet says :lol:
No, don't use it at all anymore. I used to use it with my Marshall JTM-45 a million years ago when that was my main gigging set-up. I do have an Xotic EP boost pedal that I will occasionally use with my Orange if I'm using a Strat. Because, yeah, that preamp is pretty sweet. Noisy though.... not the EP but the Echoplex itself - it's like being at the ocean.

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:18 pm

bclaire wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:19 am
bfitz wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:05 pm
bclaire wrote:

No, don't use it at all anymore. I used to use it with my Marshall JTM-45 a million years ago when that was my main gigging set-up. I do have an Xotic EP boost pedal that I will occasionally use with my Orange if I'm using a Strat. Because, yeah, that preamp is pretty sweet. Noisy though.... not the EP but the Echoplex itself - it's like being at the ocean.
There's a crowd in the UK that re-condition them. https://soundgas.com/product/roland-re- ... -220-240v/ I'm sure there's people out your way re-conditioning them too but I'm sure it costs a fair bit and then if its not gonna get the use what's the point. They are a cool piece of history tho
... I'd say if you were goin in the studio for a while and were definitely gonna use it twud be worth the fix eh! :)

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:34 am

bfitz wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:18 pm
There's a crowd in the UK that re-condition them. https://soundgas.com/product/roland-re- ... -220-240v/ I'm sure there's people out your way re-conditioning them too but I'm sure it costs a fair bit and then if its not gonna get the use what's the point. They are a cool piece of history tho
... I'd say if you were goin in the studio for a while and were definitely gonna use it twud be worth the fix eh! :)
Even working properly they sound like a day at the beach... this one works fine (well, at least the last time I tried....)