Anyone Still Rockin' an SP212?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Anyone Still Rockin' an SP212?

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:52 pm

Hello Everyone!

I just found an SP212 (Gen 1) locally for a decent price. Seems Talkbass wasn't huge fans of these. Just wondering if anyone is still rocking one and how they are holding up? I plan to use it with a Traynor YBA100.

Thanks!

bfitz
Orange Expert

Re: Anyone Still Rockin' an SP212?

Post by bfitz » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:27 pm

Yeah I have one see sig pic! I use it with a markbass little mark iii. I bought it for doing wedding gigs. Got fair sick of lugging a markbass 104h around so I got this to show up, play, get paid and go home.

It's a nice speaker cab it's no 4x10 but it's great for small gigs, weddings and home practice. It's punchy and had a bit of growl in the midrange. When your used to a 410 it's definitely a change but you get used to it. I had to sell a ppc212cb guitar cab to get it tho. Miss that thing but needs must. If the price is right I say go for it. They're rare enough on the used market you can always move it on again

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:39 am

Cool thanks!

I'm currently playing through a neo 115 that won't fit into my back seat. It's a decent price and seems to be the MK1 made in USA with the wood skids and neo speakers.

I hear they are quite a bit quieter than traditional cabs. Any thoughts on that?

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:16 am

It's definitely quieter than my 410. Like you'd have to push it a bit more to get it up to gig volume but your not not gonna struggle to be heard IMO. If your in a metal band with double kicks then maybe but for the gigs I was playing it was more than fine. Think my amp is pushing 500 at 4 ohms and 300 at 8 ohms.i can't remember what way the cab is rated. I think it's 8. Its plenty loud enough. I read some of the posts on the talkbass forum. A lot of lads giving out about the isobaric design. The cab is ported and has the isobaric thing. The build quality is excellent. And you'll now be tempted to pick up a terror bass if one comes up! Can you bring your own amp with u to test it?

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:14 am

Thanks man. Yea talkbass really doesn't dig the iso design. I tried to get into Orange bass amps but neither the OB1 nor the TB did it for me. I haven't had the privilege of trying an AD200B though. I recently got a Traynor YBA100 all tube bass head and it's fantastic. I won't ever go back to solid state.

I'll take the amp and bass in to test for sure. They will probably also have my current cab so I can do a shootout.

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:30 am

Nice valve head! Id be interested to hear how your shootout goes so come back with results!

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:55 pm

Well the store was crazy busy so I just picked it up. Wow do I love the form form factor vs my current cab. With my tube head it's way too quiet. I had to crank both volume and gain to get a reasonable volume and at that point it's a farty mess. There is no way it would keep up with drums. It would make for a good attenuator while recording though.

Versus the Traynor NEO 115, it's much quieter as I said, but it's warmer and punchier in the upper mids. Comparing back to back the 115 seems a bit hollow sounding, but does have more low end.

Now I've got an Ampeg Portaflex 800 I've been trying to sell for a while so I decided to hook that up just for fun (should be 400 watts at 8 ohms). Now we're talking! Much louder than the tube head and very punchy vs the 115. This micro setup would be usable at a show without question. It was clearly loud enough because my ears are still ringing from the 30 seconds I cranked it up.

I would love to hear this cab with a full 600 watts of clean power running through it. That would be something magical. Cool cab, but just isn't going to work out for me. Onto the next one!

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:39 pm

Hey fella

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. I never found it to struggle at all like your describing and perhaps it's simply that the setup needs a bigger kick than your valve head is offering. I honestly don't know. My markbass gives a fair whack. At 300watts at 8ohms class D. I'm sure you won't find it hard to move on in any case. I take it the ampeg is similar?

Funny enough I got my 4x10 out of my folks house today....i had been thinking of selling it cos there are no gigs and I'm not really playing anywhere near as much bass as guitar at the moment but god damn the thing sounds amazing. So much girth, punch and 'roundness' I guess for want of a better word.

It's hard to part with good gear no matter how 'unnecessarily more' it is.

Happy hunting for the next thing!!!

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr