Fuzz roundup

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bfitz
Orange Expert

Fuzz roundup

Post by bfitz » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:04 am

I've been nerding out on fuzzes lately. I use the hi gain side of a hudson broadcast as my fuzzy option but have been gassing for more fuzz!

what is anyone using?

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Fuzz roundup

Post by bclaire » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:22 am

I'll be interested to read people's thoughts on this. I've considered getting a fuzz but.... which one?

I think I want a Sola variant tone bender....

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:10 pm

I love fuzz pedals, just to mess around on. I have a handful at the moment but have owned a couple dozen over the years. Hard to say what I like best, theres a lot of variation of sound which is what makes them fun to play with. Theres some I think I’d like to have again like the Red Witch Fuzz God although I didn’t care for the “wrath” feature in it, it has a great big Fuzz Face type sound. The next one I get will likely be the Keeley Fuzz Bender which is a very drastic take on a Tone Bender type sound.

Currently have:
EHX Big Muff & a hand made IC version
Ibanez FZ7
Fender Blender
Thirdman Bumble Buzz clone
Fuzz Factory Clone

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:30 pm

I do like the sound of the tonebenders but I've only ever seen the real ones at Macari's in London and they cost a fortune. I'd assume the keely or jhs versions are gonna be on the money and then some but I really like the sound of the thorpyfx fallout cloud which is a muff variant and then there's this one that a guy in Dublin called Moose Electronics that makes one called the Nomad. It's a version of the Foxx Tone machine. It's got a switchable octave up and has both silicon and germanium transistors that are switchable.... options a plenty

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:15 am

The Orange Fur Coat is a pretty cool Foxx Tone type

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:01 am

Boss Waza Craft TB-2W
This sounded like it would be cool but it sold out globally almost instantly....!
https://www.gearnews.com/boss-waza-craf ... %E2%80%AF/

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:12 am

bclaire wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:01 am
Boss Waza Craft TB-2W
This sounded like it would be cool but it sold out globally almost instantly....!

Dayum I didn't even know about it. Pity its limited edition. That would definitely be up my street. I honestly love Boss pedals! The enclosure looks pretty sweet too.

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:26 am

Jondog wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:10 pm
I love fuzz pedals, just to mess around on. I have a handful at the moment but have owned a couple dozen over the years. Hard to say what I like best, theres a lot of variation of sound which is what makes them fun to play with. Theres some I think I’d like to have again like the Red Witch Fuzz God although I didn’t care for the “wrath” feature in it, it has a great big Fuzz Face type sound. The next one I get will likely be the Keeley Fuzz Bender which is a very drastic take on a Tone Bender type sound.

Currently have:
Ibanez FZ7
Fender Blender
Fuzz Factory Clone
Which one or ones are you finding the most versatile and the most inspiring out of your collection there? I've heard good things about the fender blender and the fuzz factory

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:52 pm

bclaire wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:01 am
Boss Waza Craft TB-2W

I was looking for one as soon as the pre-order was announced, only found one site in Europe and pre-orders were sold out. Looks like an awesome pedal. Will likely be a fortune on the used market.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:59 pm

bfitz wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:26 am
Jondog wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:10 pm

Currently have:
Ibanez FZ7
Fender Blender
Fuzz Factory Clone
Which one or ones are you finding the most versatile and the most inspiring out of your collection there? I've heard good things about the fender blender and the fuzz factory
They’re all unique. The Fender Blender I wouldn’t say is an everyday fuzz pedal, it needs to be tamed a bit. But its very loud and the octave can be piercing at times. It is fun though and I love that it looks as unique as it sounds. The Fuzz Factory is probably the most versatile as you can do anything from a Fuzz Face sound to stabby/glitchy/velcro fuzz to over the top feedbacking crazy sounds.
The Danelectro Eisenhower Fuzz is another one I’m interested in.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:27 pm

My favorite fuzz only was the BAT Pharaoh.

My absolute favorite fuzz/dirt/noise pedal has to be the WMD Geiger Counter (non pro) :)

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:24 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:27 pm
My favorite fuzz only was the BAT Pharaoh.

My absolute favorite fuzz/dirt/noise pedal has to be the WMD Geiger Counter (non pro) :)
I had both of them at one point. Great pedals! The Pharoh was all the rage at one time but I don’t read much about it anymore.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:44 am

My older brother had one of these: a UMI Buzz Tone

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:03 pm

bclaire wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:44 am
My older brother had one of these: a UMI Buzz Tone

Nice!

Gorgar
Tiny Terror

Post by Gorgar » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:30 pm

I had no idea this forum was still going. Glad to see it! This was always my favorite music-oriented forum.

I am a big germanium fuzz fiend. I especially love distortion into fuzz.

My main fuzz is still an Analogman Sunlion (white dot NKT). It's got that beefy, creamy, Kyuss-like sound, and it's the most interesting of all my fuzzes to listen to the texture of. Everything sounds good through it. Battery only, would never take it anywhere now that they're so hard to come by. I've also got a red dot, which sounds more ZZ Top. It's pretty good too, but I don't use it as much. It's one pedal I can run in front of the white dot without issue though.

I've tried a bunch of other fuzzes looking for something less valuable and more pedalboard friendly that'll run off normal power, and for me the clear winner was BAT Son of Pharoah. Nice small pedals, very friendly to other pedals run before them. I have two with no silicon option, mine are symmetrical and asymmetrical germanium instead. Mark at BAT was great to work with. Also have a Pharoah Supreme. For me, the Pharoahs are the gold standard of modern fuzz. If I want fuzz in a spot in the chain and just want it to work and sound good, I'll use a Pharoah.

Also really like some MXR fuzzes: Sub Machine, Sub Octave Bass Fuzz, Blue Box. The SOBF is really usable with bass.

My favorite sound is an old Distortion+ into the Sunlion. Horribly noisy, but sounds glorious. A pedal that gets surprisingly close to that (without the noise) is the Catalinbread Katzenkoenig. If I had to take just one dirt pedal somewhere, that would be the one. It's no substitute for the beef of a Fuzz Face, but it adds a pleasant heft without losing the top end. Good if you like a controlled searing somewhat fuzzy lead.

Also have tried and liked: OBNE Alpha Haunt, SVISound GeFuzz (Bulgarian!), Occvlt Old Hag (Polish!), EQD Dream Crusher. These are generally fiddlier but they do have some great sounds in them.

Tried and just not gotten on with: Red Witch Fuzz God, Catalinbread Sabra Cadabra, BAT Black Sheep. Not bad pedals, just didn't work for me. Might be just the thing for different guitars and amps.