NAD - Jury is out

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bfitz
Orange Expert

NAD - Jury is out

Post by bfitz » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:03 am

Greetings!

So big news in the Fitzpatrick household is my wife and I had our first child on the 14th of January! Her name is Ivy and while she can be nearly as loud as a 4x12 with a 50w head, she is not really the subject of this post rather the reason behind the purchse

I have gone to the dark side and purchased a boss nextone 40 watt solid state combo. Primarily to be able to plug in to an amp with the headphones on while bambina is sleeping but it kinda works fine at low volumes too.

It works and it does have a couple of cool features like an attenuation dial and varying tube emulations. It has delay reverb and tremolo and a boost if needed.

I'm still on the fence about it tbh. I mean if I had a gig with a band I wouldn't even consider it. The ad30 and HRD are just superior in every sense but I have to say if I was doing anything low key or just guitar accompanying this little box could defo do a job. The other thing is practice at home at low volume or if the little person decides to start playing guitar. It's got a lot to offer someone without being too busy or complicated. I did try a Katana and realised that orange amps simplicity has rendered my ability to use amps with multiple features and effects completely useless.

Will the nextone last? Honestly I doubt it will last the year. I'll probably try to get another TT or an OR15. I traded a TT and a fender Bassbreaker out for the ad30 and I do miss the TT a lot. For now tho the boss is doing a job.

Hope ye are all safe and well

B

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: NAD - Jury is out

Post by bclaire » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:22 am

Congratulations! That's exciting news!

If you can get into the new amp for cheap money it would be worth it... maybe. Look at it for what it is - a tool that will meet your needs for awhile!

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:44 pm

Nice, I've not seen anything on these yet. The big one look pretty classy. I've been very interested in headphone jamming as of late. Prob since my brother moved in and my wife's side hustle is starting to pickup so she spends much more time right next to my practice room. I didn't think I played that loud until one day I was looping and ran downstairs to grab a pedal and heard it clear as day haha woops :)

I've been eyeballing the new Quad Cortex as it seems like the best of all the modelers stuffed in one compact package. Shame they don't have any Orange amps yet. It is cool that I could capture my own amps though and have a near identical headphone/loud rig.

Defiantly report back after some more use.

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:42 pm

bclaire wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:22 am
If you can get into the new amp for cheap money it would be worth it... maybe. Look at it for what it is - a tool that will meet your needs for awhile!
It was 400 euro new. Couldn't really find one on the used market. They aren't in as good circulation as the katana. But yeah its definitely way more authentic sounding than guitar rig. Like it's an amp that sounds like an amp not those emulations of the vox sound or the Marshall or fender sound. I had an hour at 5.30 this morning after getting kiddo back to sleep. Just messing with a looper which was really fun thru the headphones. It makes something impossible to do really very possible, could have some good outcomes creatively.... Fingers crossed.

I must look up a quad cortex. The name makes it sound complicated. Thing with the nextone is its not a modeler per se it alleges to be a solid state all analogue amp with tube logic circuitry. Not digital. I'll get a recording done soon and post ye can see what he make of it 😁

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr