Sad.....Day's of Yore

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Valvelust
Tiny Terror

Sad.....Day's of Yore

Post by Valvelust » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:51 pm

Just have to chime in to said it's so sad to see the diminished activity and discussion on the forum which is prevalent with other specialized music/gear forums as well. I know I don't play as much lately and not diving into my gear as all the years before.

Seems like times have changed so much a late that the interest and thought processes has be redirected. :(

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Sad.....Day's of Yore

Post by bclaire » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:21 am

Facebook groups are the main reason.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:31 pm

Yes, Facebook, and the forum is now closed to new users. Turns out new users were generating quite a bit of traffic too, but it sounds like weeding out spammers out of genuine new accounts almost became a full time job.

Facebook groups are rubbish though. 😶
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:50 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:31 pm
Yes, Facebook, and the forum is now closed to new users. Turns out new users were generating quite a bit of traffic too, but it sounds like weeding out spammers out of genuine new accounts almost became a full time job.

Facebook groups are rubbish though. 😶
Yeah, forget searching Facebook for something older....

There were very few legit new accounts - and dozens of spammers every day. I do miss it though... at least on facebook it's almost all legitimate Orange owners...

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:54 pm

For example...

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:18 am

I still pop in once in a while to see if anythings happening. The FB group sure isn't the same. I'm definitely not as active there as I was here, but I try to limit my FB posts anyways. Theres days I catch myself typing in the link to the forum without thinking about it, it's like quitting smoking!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:25 am

Yeah, I still look every morning to see if there's anything new.

I recently answered a post on FB for someone looking for Orange catalogs from the 70's and he had no idea this forum existed. I did a large scan for him of the OR120 page in the '73 catalog and started thinking that maybe I need to do some large scans of those old catalogs since my scans in Serial Numbers aren't very big....

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:31 pm

Old friends, greetings yet again. I used to hit this page several times a day, and what a ride we've had. I've never had a facebook account and never will. I keep thinking this is shut down so I never stop in anymore. Been using reddit and TGP for the few gear questions I have these days, just isn't the same though.

Was this forum officially affiliated/hosted by Orange? Or more of a community built thing?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:37 am

Boy_Narf wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:31 pm
Was this forum officially affiliated/hosted by Orange? Or more of a community built thing?
Yes, official Orange all the way....

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:04 pm

All I’m saying is there was no covid before the forum shut down... :shock: Hope everyone has been well!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:29 am

Jondog wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:04 pm
All I’m saying is there was no covid before the forum shut down
ha ha ha ha

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:51 am

I do miss the activity I once saw on this forum. The FB User's Group has the occasional helpful comment, but even those are sparse, so I don't check there very often. In the past, when it came to getting help on questions about Orange products, this forum served me well in my gaining knowledge of technical as well as how Orange owners actually utilized their own particular amps.

adkguy07

StratusX
Rocker

Post by StratusX » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:25 am

Can’t say I’m honestly too fond of the Orange Amplifiers Owners Group on FB. It’s almost all Crush series or the the smaller heads. Nothing wrong with those amps, but almost no variety and no knowledge about them or Orange in general. Seems to be most only buy them because they’ve become the flavor of the week amp over the past decade or so, and don’t care what amp they have as long as it says Orange on it.

I miss the forum, and don’t even mind a Facebook group as long as it can have the spirit of the forum. Andy’s groups definitely help.
Hi, my name is Ian.
1973 Gibson SG
2009 Gibson Melody Maker
2011 Gibson Midtown Standard
2006 Schecter Hellraiser
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC108 X 2
Orange AD30HTC
Orange PPC212

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:31 pm

Andy's groups are definitely good... he's got some crazy Orange stuff (and I sold him my Orange horn unit which I was never going to use...)

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:47 pm

I think the problem is that it's too focused on Orange amps. Not that Orange amps are not cool, but it can be a limited subject.

It hasn't stopped people from posting about different guitars and amps made by other companies, but that isn't really what this forum is for. If it was, it would have a bunch of subforums like "Other amps", "Amp building", "Guitars", etc.

I wouldn't put the blame squarely on Facebook, as some other gear forums are getting plenty of traffic at the moment.