Deluxe Electric Mistress v5 compatible power supply

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

groundmeat
Tiny Terror

Deluxe Electric Mistress v5 compatible power supply

Post by groundmeat » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:03 am

Bought a used Deluxe Electric Mistress off the web several months ago. It's a v5 model, made sometime between 2000 and whenever they finally stopped making the old gigantic-sized analog ones. The XO sized green label ones they make currently are all digital apparently and don't sound quite as good as the old ones. It's become one of my favorite pedals, and despite the HUGE amount of real estate it will take up, I can't imagine NOT having it on a pedalboard.

I've talked about it elsewhere on here before maybe, but about a year ago now, I sold my old rackmount rig (Marshall JMP1 & Peavey Classic Series 120/120 tube poweramp) and used the proceeds towards a Rockerverb 100 mk3. I wasn't getting the pure tube amp sound I wanted outta that setup, and I thought that going old-school amp + pedals would be easier. I dunno if it's "easier" at this point, both have proven to be tedious at times. Whereas before, I was dealing with most of my effects in a couple of Digitech rackmount units, now I'm attempting to assemble a decent sized collection of pedals that I can use to get any of the sounds I commonly used with rack units. I kinda had a list of all the pedals I was gonna need, and at this point, I have most of them. There's only 2 or 3 more that I'll need.

So now I'm at the point where I'm trying to figure out what brand and size of pedalboard I will need to fit all this crap on there. And I also need to figure out what model of power supply I'll need to power all this stuff. And so far, only 2 pedals are gonna be oddballs. One is a Fulltone Octafuzz which has a reverse polarity 9v power requirement... and that's a simple solution, just gotta get a reverse polarity adapter extension. But the Deluxe Electric Mistress is looking like it might be a problem.

The plug size is the same as any other standard 9v Boss plug. The problem is it requires 24v. I've looked around a bit and I can't seem to spot any power supply bricks that have an option for 24v. I've seen plenty with spots for 12 and 18v out, but none with a 24v slot. Any ideas?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Deluxe Electric Mistress v5 compatible power supply

Post by bclaire » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:34 pm

Do you have the AC adaptor for it? Maybe run power to the board and the brick and use the original adaptor for it.

groundmeat
Tiny Terror

Post by groundmeat » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:16 am

I do have the adapter. But I was hoping to power everything from just one power supply. New to the pedalboard thing, so... are you talking about doing something like zip-tying a 5-outlet power strip under the board and just using the adapter? I kinda figured I'd be forced to do something like that in order to be able to use this thing since I haven't found any power supplies yet that have a 24v slot. If I was going to go that route, I suppose I'd just forget the power brick idea and just use regular adapters for everything. Right now, all my pedals are piled on top of the amp and 3 or 4 are using their own dedicated wallwarts, and a few more are run off a daisy chain from a OneSpot adapter.

I did see this though. Spotted it just this morning. The only thing I've seen so far with "24v" on it anywhere.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/CIOKS/DC-7 ... 0285319.gc

"24V DC auxiliary outlet with max. 2A"

Think that would do the trick?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:33 pm

That thing looks cool. Pricey, though... if I had some extra cash laying around....

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:42 pm

I would do what Billy suggested.

Rig a dual plug bit underneath your pedal board, so you can plug your power supply and the proprietary wall wart for the electric mistress.

Once you're set up, you only have on3 power chord to plug in at set up time.

I use a True tone CS12 power supply that I've been very happy with.
Checking their website, they seem to have a voltage doubler adaptor - that could be used to convert one of the 12v output to 24v.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:12 am

You also need one of these for your pedalboard:
https://www.amazon.com/Baynne-Ultra-Thi ... CW7RXC9R0F

groundmeat
Tiny Terror

Post by groundmeat » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:21 am

But then I'll need a gooseneck lamp to go over it so I can see it in the dark. And if I'm gonna do that, might as well add a mini fridge and a Jagermeister tap to the board too, I might get thirsty. Maybe a Mr Coffee coffeemaker for those early morning gigs.

If someone could assure me that every place I'd gig would have double doors, I could probably find a tow behind trailer narrow enough to fit through the doors, then I could just weld all my pedals to it, weld a fridge to it, maybe use some fat gobs of JB weld to epoxy the base of a La-Z-Boy recliner to it so I can sit down if I get tired.

But srsly.

https://truetone.com/voltage-doubler/

Never seen that before. YES! That would probably do the trick. Thanks!

Maybe one of these days whenever the damned plague subsides and stores re-open, I can take this thing with me to a shop that has one of the new versions of the Mistress and compare them. These old ones were not made with space saving economy in mind at all. You unscrew it and look inside the thing and there's TONS of empty space in the case. Willie Nelson could hide half his stash in there.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:01 pm

groundmeat wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:21 am
You unscrew it and look inside the thing and there's TONS of empty space in the case. Willie Nelson could hide half his stash in there.
He probably has 2 then, doesn't make sense to hide only 1/2 of it.

Yeah, that charge pump looks to be pretty nifty. I'm also pretty impressed with the CS12, true tone products are pretty solid.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

groundmeat
Tiny Terror

Post by groundmeat » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:58 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:01 pm
... true tone products are pretty solid.
That's been my experience with them so far. No noise outta the One Spot that I bought to use with my black Fulltone MDV1 dejavibe. Got a 4 or 5 plug daisy-chain to power other pedals without batteries, and it did make my EHX Pitchfork noisy. But once I put that pedal back on it's own single power adapter that it came with (I was using it to power my Catalinbread talisman reverb at the time) it went back to normal. Added the Talisman to the power from the daisy-chain and it wasn't noisy.

Saw a video the guy from JHS did about those cheapo chinese Behringer pedals, and he was telling people they shouldn't necessarily be afraid of them, that some of them were actually sort of decent. And I think in the same video he went on to admonish people NOT to use cheap power sources, particularly the OneSpot things. So uh... mixed signals there. Cheap isn't automatically bad... unless its from Truetone? :?

LD50
Tiny Terror

Post by LD50 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:10 am

I have had one of those EH pedals for years.
I had thought about modding it for some more versatility too (there are mod sites out there) but having looked inside I decided that if things did not go as planned I would end up with a dead metal box.

I too am old school with pedals and typically like to keep it simple with all my pedals up front on one board (two lines with Lehle ABY-T pedal. I've tried dry/wet systems but for gigs it's too much hassle. I want one amp and one pedal board with an in/out and one power supply to the board and one to the amp. I usually only take one guitar (although often keep spare guitar and amp head securely in my car - just in case).

I use the Godlike Power All system for power which comes with different adaptors from the ubiquitous Boss type to the ones that fit my Crybaby and the EH stuff. Importantly they do a 'power pump' that doubles the voltage for the Electric Mistress.

groundmeat
Tiny Terror

Post by groundmeat » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:13 am

LD50 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:10 am
I have had one of those EH pedals for years.
I had thought about modding it for some more versatility too (there are mod sites out there) but having looked inside I decided that if things did not go as planned I would end up with a dead metal box.
I made a post in another thread talking about how I was looking for some kind of simple cheap 2-in into 1-out blender box. I was wanting to take the flanged out and direct out outputs from the deluxe mistress and blend the two as like a wet/dry using a knob.

I can't remember what the inside of mine looked like, but I suppose the wiring was like this.

(See what I mean? Look how much excess metal they used for the housing. Granted, the previous versions had the transformer INSIDE the case rather than outside in an adapter, but even with the transformer, there was still more material used than necessary for the case.)

Looks like the input has a wire going straight to the direct out jack. So it probably would be rather simple to solder more wires off the brown and black from the flanged output, clip the wire from the input to the direct out, wire those sets to a knob drilled through the top of the case, then have the direct out be the blended out.

But I kinda don't want to do that, as it would damage and devalue the pedal. The external 2-into-1 mix pedal would accomplish the same thing without drilling any holes. Then again... I'm not entirely opposed to the idea either. I'd also like to modify the filter switch across the top to make it longer and maybe more durable so that it could flipped with your toe. I typically have one setting and never touch the knobs, which works perfectly as a treble boost and a slow flange, and I switch between filter and flange often enough that having a more suitable switch would really come in handy. Perhaps even a toggle button. So if I can find a way to do BOTH of those, I'd probably go ahead and do it.

The BYOB pedal site is the only mod site I've ever looked at. If you know of some good ones, link me baby.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:49 pm

groundmeat wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:58 am
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:01 pm
... true tone products are pretty solid.
That's been my experience with them so far. No noise outta the One Spot that I bought to use with my black Fulltone MDV1 dejavibe. Got a 4 or 5 plug daisy-chain to power other pedals without batteries, and it did make my EHX Pitchfork noisy. But once I put that pedal back on it's own single power adapter that it came with (I was using it to power my Catalinbread talisman reverb at the time) it went back to normal. Added the Talisman to the power from the daisy-chain and it wasn't noisy.

Saw a video the guy from JHS did about those cheapo chinese Behringer pedals, and he was telling people they shouldn't necessarily be afraid of them, that some of them were actually sort of decent. And I think in the same video he went on to admonish people NOT to use cheap power sources, particularly the OneSpot things. So uh... mixed signals there. Cheap isn't automatically bad... unless its from Truetone? :?

Even the one spot is pretty good - the limitation here really is the daisy chaining. It's just not a very good practice, but can work well depending on pedals type and number.
Ant