NGD

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bfitz
Orange Expert

NGD

Post by bfitz » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:15 pm

Hows the form!?

Swapped out a mexi hendrix strat for this lad and I am speechless! for a single pickup guitar it has such a range of tones and thru the AD30 I think we have found a mutually beneficial musical relationship!

full throttle its angry....like really angry full of bite and sizzle and a very present mid-range.
back off the volume and it cleans up so so nice, nearly chimey then back off the tone and you get a nearly acoustic sound off it...I've had it a few days and im inspired again!

I think after what has been my fifth or sixth strat at this stage, that I'm not going to bother anymore. I do love the sound of the neck pickup and the middle pickup but they never feel right to me, there's always something a little off for me and i always find they dont like to stay in tune for me. Anyway ... im on the junior train now and its the balls!

glad to see the forum is still going ?!? hope everyone is doing ok

B

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: NGD

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:21 pm

Oh man!

I had one of those for a few days before returning it for some horrible finish flaws. It was killer with my R30. I was shocked how great the cleans sounded.

Good find man! The SG Junior was last on my list until I found this beauty:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wrJs5JwkDbRf5B739

Almost all of my guitars are single pickup junior style these days. I'm a big fan of the simplicity and rawness.

~RemainJoyful.

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:52 am

Boy_Narf wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:21 pm
Oh man!

I had one of those for a few days before returning it for some horrible finish flaws. It was killer with my R30. I was shocked how great the cleans sounded.

Good find man! The SG Junior was last on my list until I found this beauty:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wrJs5JwkDbRf5B739

Almost all of my guitars are single pickup junior style these days. I'm a big fan of the simplicity and rawness.

~RemainJoyful.
hot damn thats a nice looking axe! whats the pickup?

I think mine has a baked maple board too so probs more similar to yours in a way. Tho i am not sure about it....the other rosewood board i have here is much grainier, i cant seem to see any pores in the wood on the SG but its no biggy really thing sounds wicked

Its is amazing how you approach the instrument differently with a single pickup like you say. Just ride the volume...Its also amazing how badass it sounds with fuzz. P90's where have you been all my life!!!

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:34 pm

Haha. My first P90 was my mid 2000's LPJ and I havn't looked back. All of my guitars are P90 equipped now (except my early 2000's LP Studio. It sounds way too nice to mess with the pickups heh). I absolutely love how dynamic and spanky they can be but as you said with a turn of the knob they start to roar! Kind of like the best combination of a tele and LP all in one.

The guitar is in pretty rough condition with a bunch of nitro checking, but the flamed neck and top are gorgeous. It came with an EMG 81 which was the first active pickup I've ever played. Instant yuck! It's currently with a local tech and he is fitting a Gibson P94 (humbucker sized P90), swapping in a new CTS pot, and filling a few dings in the back of the neck. I've decided to remove the tone and plug the hole with a chrome stopper. Pickup to volume to jack... doesn't get any sweeter :)

What year is yours? Does it have that hideous scroll on the back of the headstock?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:19 am

Sweet!

I have a '69 SG Jr that sounds amazing... they are great guitars and just rip through an Orange! Congrats!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:56 pm

Sweet!!!!

I love a good SG!!!!
Don't sweat the fretboard - my 2012 70s Tribute has a dreaded maple neck AND baked maple fretboard! The horror!!!!!

It's such a player!!!! Just great super stable neck. The fretboard isn t quite as nice looking as a streaky piece of rosewood, but it actually feels great, perhaps better, under the finger.

P90 are lovely too. Enjoy!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:29 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:34 pm
What year is yours? Does it have that hideous scroll on the back of the headstock?
Mine is 2011 and yeah it has a bit of a scrawl on the headstock but sure whatevs! i've organised a rehearsal for next week locally and i cannot wait to get it in a loud situation. The restrictions here in Ireland aint all that bad but only this last week have things began to get open again with some restrictions on distancing etc but i know once i get the AD30 wound up enough it'll bring all that low end and midrange into the mix and the guitar will just sound better from it.

Billy you're totally right on the Junior + Orange combo it just rips!

Hoping to have enough material to make an EP by year end and it looks like this thing and the tele are the GO-TO guitars to get the right sounds 8)

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:49 pm

Got the guitar back from the tech a few days back:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BehWH8FuFg4GKoxW8

RIP tone knob...

Once you start to understand the Jr, you might get the bug like I did. Of the 7 guitars I have, 6 of them are "Junior style". I even mods to the old tele last year and turned it into a Esquire with a single volume and a single coil sized p90. Each of the guitars has their own thing going. Three of the guitars also have a P94 pickup installed and they all sound drastically different.

We are joyful.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:31 am

Rats. I wrote a whole reply and the story about mine and must not have submitted it. I'll write it soon...

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:49 am

OK here tis.

My 1969 Gibson SG Jr story
Gibson made 751 of them in 1969

Bought the guitar from Elderly Instruments’ As-Is webpage. It needed pickup, pickguard, tuners, and general clean-up. Paid I think, $375.

I cut a new pick guard myself, replaced the tuners, did a general cleaning, got a Wilkinson wrap-around intonatable bridge. Bought a used Gibson P-100 and did the Lindy Fralin mod to make it a hot P-90. Took the Vibrola off.

The Lindy Fralin mod: I was looking for replacement pickups for my Les Paul Special that had stock P-100’s and I called Lindy Fralin’s shop. Lindy answered and asked why I wanted new pickups when I could simply clip the wire connecting the two coils, move the wire to the top coil alone, and voila! A hot P-90!

Fast-forward a few years and we’re in the studio cutting tracks. I used my SG Jr through my Orange AD30TC and the engineer said “Nothing sounds better than those old P-90’s!” I hated having to break the news to him, but he was floored to hear it!

The crazy thing is, I would have bought a set of P-90’s from Lindy but he saved me money and the mod resulted in some awesome sounding pickups. I was already a fan (and a customer) but I will always buy Fralin pickups!

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:16 am

bclaire wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:49 am
OK here tis.

My 1969 Gibson SG Jr story
Gibson made 751 of them in 1969

Bought the guitar from Elderly Instruments’ As-Is webpage. It needed pickup, pickguard, tuners, and general clean-up. Paid I think, $375.

I cut a new pick guard myself, replaced the tuners, did a general cleaning, got a Wilkinson wrap-around intonatable bridge. Bought a used Gibson P-100 and did the Lindy Fralin mod to make it a hot P-90. Took the Vibrola off.

The Lindy Fralin mod: I was looking for replacement pickups for my Les Paul Special that had stock P-100’s and I called Lindy Fralin’s shop. Lindy answered and asked why I wanted new pickups when I could simply clip the wire connecting the two coils, move the wire to the top coil alone, and voila! A hot P-90!

Fast-forward a few years and we’re in the studio cutting tracks. I used my SG Jr through my Orange AD30TC and the engineer said “Nothing sounds better than those old P-90’s!” I hated having to break the news to him, but he was floored to hear it!

The crazy thing is, I would have bought a set of P-90’s from Lindy but he saved me money and the mod resulted in some awesome sounding pickups. I was already a fan (and a customer) but I will always buy Fralin pickups!
Talk about mojo Billy!?

That thing looks the biz! Im always slightly envious of folk that got in to the vintage thing before it was the thing it is today. Its so outta reach for a lot of us but such is life. G'man Lindy! So your P90 is a hacked soapbar P100 in a frankenstein junior!? - I love it!

Dunno if ill be investing in a new pickup just yet - i need to hear more of em but so far i just love the tone off this thing! i think the SG shape lends itself well to the p90 - ive played a few single cut and double cut juniors and they are definitely darker sounding i guess just more wood isnt it?

However i may get a better bridge for it - would you recomment the wilkinson or would you go a different way if going again?

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:17 am

maybe frankenstein is too strong a word more like ------ Custom SG Junior

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:07 pm

I like the bridge a lot. It almost looks stock but is intonatable.
This is the one I have:
https://reverb.com/item/2776251-gotoh-w ... 200-nickel