Orange OBC410 - is this what a busted speaker cone sounds like?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

some_math_guy

Orange OBC410 - is this what a busted speaker cone sounds like?

Post by some_math_guy » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:46 am

Hey fellow Covidiots!

Can you dudes tell me if this Orange OBC410 cab (2009 Limited Edition, in white tolex) is shot? I recently bought it used and it sounds awesome clean with my matching Terror Bass MKI head, but when I add some overdrive from the amp it sounds godawful almost like it's farting out and crackling!

I inspected the paper diaphragms of the top two speakers and they seem fine, but I can't access the bottom two speaker baskets or inspect any of the cones as I can't see any obvious way to open up the cab.

Anyways, have a listen to this little youtube clip I made - does it sound like a busted cone or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xLVbPiVNZI

some_math_guy

Re: Orange OBC410 - is this what a busted speaker cone sounds like?

Post by some_math_guy » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:58 am

Actually I was able to get the front grille off (it's just attached with velcro, easily pried off with a flat-head screwdriver), and after inspection, all of the speakers seem fine.

There is a small horn in the centre however, I wonder if that's what giving the nasty sound? Is there any way to just turn the horn off completely? This Special Edition OBC410 does not have a Hi/Lo/Off switch on the back for different horn settings. Ideally I'd like to just have the horn off all the time.

some_math_guy

Re: Orange OBC410 - is this what a busted speaker cone sounds like?

Post by some_math_guy » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:05 pm

Actually somebody already answered it here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14810

Orange forum rules!