vintage Orange cab research/timeline anywhere?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Fuzzhead

vintage Orange cab research/timeline anywhere?

Post by Fuzzhead » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:24 am

Hi Folks,

I'm on a search for informations about Orange speaker cabinets - 4x12 ones from 70 to 80s .

I'd like to learn/know more about the series. What variants were offered etc

shortly I purchased an old Orange cab 4x12, it has not complete original speakers.
It has 2x UK V30 8Ohm (date code says from 1996)
and 2x G12-30 Rola Celestions (date code says 1982 when I looked right) - each 8 Ohm.

I wonder about vintage Orange cab came in 8 ohm, only know 16 ohm cabs so far.

Just curious about :-)

thanx for any possible information

gretings and keep on rockin

P.S.: in the near future I want to swap out all Speakers to 16 ohms V30, like those Speakers in Orange cabs!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: vintage Orange cab research/timeline anywhere?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:33 pm

That's strange for sure. With 4 8ohms speakers, the cab can be wired for 32 or 8 ohms. Definitely not original to the amp.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:20 am

Doubtful that Orange made an 8 ohm cab... but, nothing is impossible.

It would be interesting to see an Orange cabinet timeline. Since these weren't dated per se, we generally rely on cabinet features and ultimately speaker date codes to figure out an age ballpark.

Fuzzhead

Post by Fuzzhead » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:19 pm

yes, it is really difficult to find information about cabs .

@LesPaulLover: yes, I think, thats not original - I run a OR50 through the cab, it's good it can run at 8 ohm, sounds really good.
but I plan to swap out the speakers.

first step - I have two old V30 laying around (each 8 Ohm) so going to make it a V30 only cab (8ohm )
next step (near future) I want to swap the 8ohm speakers to 16ohm ones - V30 may be ok, but thinking about to go for other ones like V-Type, Greenbacks or something else (not sure at the moment)

the old rolas G12-30 I put into a 2x12 Echolette cab thats collecting dust and wire it up to 16ohm

maybe one pre owner did that speaker swap one time in the past. - but it was cheap
there is a second terminal (Speaker Plug in) in the back of the cab, and the label has been removed, so there is no serial number on the cab at all :-(
like its build (the carry handles are that black plastic with an aluminum handle) I think it could be from mid or end 70s.
Much wear and tear and patina over all, but in good shape for my taste

the second terminal on the back will be removed and I close the hole