Dirt on Rockerverb 50 Mkiii vs Brent Hinds Terror?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

sothoth

Dirt on Rockerverb 50 Mkiii vs Brent Hinds Terror?

Post by sothoth » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:42 am

Hi All, this is my first post here. I fell in love with Orange a few years ago. I don't think I can go back now. I've been playing with a Brent Hinds Terror since it first came out. I really like the dirty channel and the compact size, and although I don't play a lot of cleans, I'm a little disappointed that the clean channel doesn't have an EQ and therefore is pretty limited when I do play cleans.

I have been researching what might be a worthy upgrade to my Terror for some time and have heard some very nice things about the Rockerverb 50 MkIII head. One advantage being the reverb and the "lush" sounding cleans. That said, I don't want to focus on lush cleans at the expense of my dirt channel.

Can anyone help guide me on whether the dirt circuits are really different between the two? I'm not seeing any direct comparisons online, but suspect the Rockerverb is quite the worthy upgrade in every way except for the weight (but I don't care about that).

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

northernguitarguy
Tiny Terror

Re: Dirt on Rockerverb 50 Mkiii vs Brent Hinds Terror?

Post by northernguitarguy » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:07 am

I have a Rocker 15 Terror. Similar layout, no EQ on the natural channel. I added an Ibanez EQ pedal and it works great. Really amazing how much tweaking can be done with one. They can also transform a fuzz pedal.

stargazer747
Tiny Terror

Post by stargazer747 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:20 pm

Similar situation here, I have 5x Terrors, 2 of which are the Brent Hinds & Rocker 15. While I hear what you're saying about the Natural channel not having an EQ to tweak it, I find that I prefer it that way and use my pedals to shape the tone with far more control. IMO, its the most base tone you can get from guitar to speaker with nothing in between.

I have the DOD 280 Compressor and BOSS GE7 EQ and set them up to give my clean tone a sort of bite to it, I dial in the EQ pedal in the "V" shape which pulls some mids out and the comp dialed in right up the middle, it sounds almost like an acoustic/electric plugged in. Sometimes I might step on the Ibanez TS9 re-issue dialed with drive all the way down to 0 and the volume at 1 o'clock, makes my pick attacks on each string more prominent.

I also have MXR's 5-band EQ, Dyna Comp Mini, & Micro Amp on my other board for the same results.
Orange Rocker 15 Terror-EVH5150III-Hughes&Kettner-Marshall-Celestion-Jackson-Fender-Gibson-PRS-Laguna-AnalogAlien-Earthquaker-Walrus-CryBaby-MXR-BOSS-EHX-Ibanez-TCE-ZOOM-DiMarzio-ErnieBall-Tortex-Pedaltrain

sothoth

Post by sothoth » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:41 pm

I get what you’re saying on the EQ pedal. I generally want to avoid needing an extra EQ and want something that can put out a bit more power as well. The latter being my main motivation. I’ll almost surely keep the Terror due to its many advantages, I just need something for gigging that has a bit more on board. And I like the reverb.

groundmeat
Tiny Terror

Post by groundmeat » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:59 pm

I have a Rockerverb 100 mk3, and the clean tones out of it are just damn sexy. If you've ever wanted to use a high gain british amp for your dirty tone and a separate Fender Twin for your clean tone, the Rockerverb 100 mk3 is like having both amps in one, only BETTER, because a Fender Twin isn't gonna have an attenuator knob on-board like the Rockerverb mk3's.

The dirty sound is... well... many people describe high gain EL34 amps as having a "spongey" quality to the tone, and that's very true with an Orange Rockerverb. If you attempt to use something like a Big Muff pedal or Boss Metal Zone with the clean channel and then switch to the dirty channel (with distortion pedals OFF) to compare the tones, the Oranges overdrive is downright "soft and fluffy" compared to the grindy grunt of a Big Muff. Honestly, the Rockerverb mk3 by itself is limited with the available treble, and if you want more, you gotta use EQ pedals to boost it. But other than that, it's the world single most perfect amplifier in my opinion.

sothoth

Post by sothoth » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:19 am

stargazer747 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:20 pm
Similar situation here, I have 5x Terrors, 2 of which are the Brent Hinds & Rocker 15. While I hear what you're saying about the Natural channel not having an EQ to tweak it, I find that I prefer it that way and use my pedals to shape the tone with far more control. IMO, its the most base tone you can get from guitar to speaker with nothing in between.

I have the DOD 280 Compressor and BOSS GE7 EQ and set them up to give my clean tone a sort of bite to it, I dial in the EQ pedal in the "V" shape which pulls some mids out and the comp dialed in right up the middle, it sounds almost like an acoustic/electric plugged in. Sometimes I might step on the Ibanez TS9 re-issue dialed with drive all the way down to 0 and the volume at 1 o'clock, makes my pick attacks on each string more prominent.

I also have MXR's 5-band EQ, Dyna Comp Mini, & Micro Amp on my other board for the same results.
To revive an old topic, can you say which of your Orange amps' dirty channels you prefer? I'm still considering whether I want to trade mine in for a Rockerverb 50 MkIII or not. I've sort of decided the clean channel isn't worth worrying about and just want to decide which dirty channel is best. I realize it's all subjective but you have a bunch of them so I'm asking you :)

stargazer747
Tiny Terror

Post by stargazer747 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:43 am

Sorry, haven't been on the forum in such a long time. Not sure if any of this is still relevant but to answer your question, of the 5x Terrors I had around that time, I only have one left now, the Rocker 15 Terror. I had gotten so used to playing thru a 2-channel amp, clean & crunch, that I seldom used any of the single channel heads I had. And I preferred the Rocker 15's voice over the Brent Hinds which I considered to be too bright for my taste. I like a dark and warmer tone from my amps. So in essence, the Rocker 15 Terror turned out to be my favorite of the Orange amps. Its the perfect match of clean and crunch; I love the Natural channel with just the one volume knob, nothing else in between to affect its pure signal and the Dirt channel is simply the classic Orange British crunch tone. Perfect for me as I play original strongly influenced by 60s, 70s, & 80s Classic and Hard Rock. This amp and my other non-Orange 2-channel heads sound incredible thru my 3 cabs; a Marshall 412 with Celestion Vintage 30s and both EVH 5150 III 212 & 112 with their stock Celestion 70th Anniversary G12H30s.
Orange Rocker 15 Terror-EVH5150III-Hughes&Kettner-Marshall-Celestion-Jackson-Fender-Gibson-PRS-Laguna-AnalogAlien-Earthquaker-Walrus-CryBaby-MXR-BOSS-EHX-Ibanez-TCE-ZOOM-DiMarzio-ErnieBall-Tortex-Pedaltrain

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:14 pm

Not sure if you are still looking.

Orange clean has mojo for sure but it just doesn't work for everything. My suggestion would be to keep the Terror and grab a small fender combo with an A/B switcher at the end of your chain (pro junior works great for me). This will give you the best of both worlds. Plus you won't ever get to crank that 50 watt head, they are dang loud.