Bass knob on a AD30tch

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Post Reply
Arthon
Tiny Terror
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:19 pm
Location: Montréal

Bass knob on a AD30tch

Post by Arthon » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:22 pm

Hey all,

Am I the only one who play my AD30 with the bass knob at 3 and thinking about putting it to 1? I have never played a amp with tha amount of bass!
Jazzmaster '58, Jazzmaster '62, Stratocaster '56, Telecaster Pro, Gibson es-175 '59, Gibson Flying V Japan edition, Epihone Elistist Casino.
1967 Vibro-Champ, Tiny Terror HW, AD30HTC
... and a bunch of fuzz

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange
Posts: 6760
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:08 am
Location: Derby, England

Re: Bass knob on a AD30tch

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:55 pm

Arthon wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:22 pm
Hey all,

Am I the only one who play my AD30 with the bass knob at 3 and thinking about putting it to 1? I have never played a amp with tha amount of bass!
It depends in guitar and overall set up really.

How long have you had your amp?
Worn valves can loosen up the overall tonal definition, resulting in a muddy / woofy low end.

It might be you just don't like too much bass, but just a thought. Some fresh EL84 and a nice valve for gain stages 1 and 2 for each channel could change the way the low end is perceived if the current ones are past their best.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, AD5, PPC212
Past Orange: Orange AD30TC Combo, Tiny Terror

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Arthon
Tiny Terror
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:19 pm
Location: Montréal

Re: Bass knob on a AD30tch

Post by Arthon » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:21 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:55 pm
Arthon wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:22 pm
Hey all,

Am I the only one who play my AD30 with the bass knob at 3 and thinking about putting it to 1? I have never played a amp with tha amount of bass!
It depends in guitar and overall set up really.

How long have you had your amp?
Worn valves can loosen up the overall tonal definition, resulting in a muddy / woofy low end.

It might be you just don't like too much bass, but just a thought. Some fresh EL84 and a nice valve for gain stages 1 and 2 for each channel could change the way the low end is perceived if the current ones are past their best.
Well maybe. I bough it use, so the valve can be worn. It's a possibility.

Or maybe the cab. It's a Orange ppc410. I also heard more bass in it then 1x12 or 2x12 with V30. It was great with the TT, but maybe too much for the Ad30...

I play with many guitars. I like to have the flexibility to play with many kinds of pickups, neck shape, tone, etc... I have a Tele, Strat, 2 Jazzmasters, a Epi Casino and a Gibson Flying V. The bass are more proeminent with my Tele (CS Tele Pro).
Jazzmaster '58, Jazzmaster '62, Stratocaster '56, Telecaster Pro, Gibson es-175 '59, Gibson Flying V Japan edition, Epihone Elistist Casino.
1967 Vibro-Champ, Tiny Terror HW, AD30HTC
... and a bunch of fuzz

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange
Posts: 6760
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:08 am
Location: Derby, England

Re: Bass knob on a AD30tch

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:40 pm

Arthon wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:21 pm
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:55 pm
Arthon wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:22 pm
Hey all,

Am I the only one who play my AD30 with the bass knob at 3 and thinking about putting it to 1? I have never played a amp with tha amount of bass!
It depends in guitar and overall set up really.

How long have you had your amp?
Worn valves can loosen up the overall tonal definition, resulting in a muddy / woofy low end.

It might be you just don't like too much bass, but just a thought. Some fresh EL84 and a nice valve for gain stages 1 and 2 for each channel could change the way the low end is perceived if the current ones are past their best.
Well maybe. I bough it use, so the valve can be worn. It's a possibility.

Or maybe the cab. It's a Orange ppc410. I also heard more bass in it then 1x12 or 2x12 with V30. It was great with the TT, but maybe too much for the Ad30...

I play with many guitars. I like to have the flexibility to play with many kinds of pickups, neck shape, tone, etc... I have a Tele, Strat, 2 Jazzmasters, a Epi Casino and a Gibson Flying V. The bass are more proeminent with my Tele (CS Tele Pro).
The PPC410 has 4*G10N40, right?
Those aren't bass heavy speakers.

If you bought it used, I'd recommend a new set of EL84. I mean inspect it of you can - if you find the EL84 plates have black marks on them, it's probably time for a new set. Modern EL84 have an extremely poor life span of around 500h use...... a preamp valve can be expected to last 5 to 10 times as much.

I've recently switched to russian 6P14P EV valves instead of the usual EL84, as those Russian military equivalent sound superb and have an expected lifespan of minimum 5000h... i can't judge the lifespan yet, but they sound great and can be found for the same price as JJs. You'll have to wait 2 to 5 weeks for the delivery from Russia though.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, AD5, PPC212
Past Orange: Orange AD30TC Combo, Tiny Terror

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Arthon
Tiny Terror
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:19 pm
Location: Montréal

Re: Bass knob on a AD30tch

Post by Arthon » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:49 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:40 pm
The PPC410 has 4*G10N40, right?
Those aren't bass heavy speakers.

If you bought it used, I'd recommend a new set of EL84. I mean inspect it of you can - if you find the EL84 plates have black marks on them, it's probably time for a new set. Modern EL84 have an extremely poor life span of around 500h use...... a preamp valve can be expected to last 5 to 10 times as much.

I've recently switched to russian 6P14P EV valves instead of the usual EL84, as those Russian military equivalent sound superb and have an expected lifespan of minimum 5000h... i can't judge the lifespan yet, but they sound great and can be found for the same price as JJs. You'll have to wait 2 to 5 weeks for the delivery from Russia though.
Yes; G10N40

Ok thanks, I will try new el84. I dont have the money right now, but I will try a new set of tubes soon. I think I am gonna go with JJs; never have problem with them ;)
Jazzmaster '58, Jazzmaster '62, Stratocaster '56, Telecaster Pro, Gibson es-175 '59, Gibson Flying V Japan edition, Epihone Elistist Casino.
1967 Vibro-Champ, Tiny Terror HW, AD30HTC
... and a bunch of fuzz

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange
Posts: 6760
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:08 am
Location: Derby, England

Re: Bass knob on a AD30tch

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:30 pm

I hope a more defined bass will work for you and that it's the issue.
Bear in mind that it may not make the difference you're hoping for.

At the end of the day, if you're happy with the sound you have with the bass set to 8 or 10 or 3 o'clock, that's what matters.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, AD5, PPC212
Past Orange: Orange AD30TC Combo, Tiny Terror

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master
Posts: 3148
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 3:39 am
Location: In the beautyful North , UK
Contact:

Re: Bass knob on a AD30tch

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:07 pm

A little extreme maybe but not too usual it has a lot of bass I usually keep my bass control about 10 o'clock....another thing is the volume your using it needs to be wound up to sound at its best.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30
Image

Arthon
Tiny Terror
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:19 pm
Location: Montréal

Re: Bass knob on a AD30tch

Post by Arthon » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:11 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:07 pm
A little extreme maybe but not too usual it has a lot of bass I usually keep my bass control about 10 o'clock....another thing is the volume your using it needs to be wound up to sound at its best.
I think it's part of the answer. I dont play with AD30 very loud. A 15 watts is normally ok with this band, but I like to have the extra juice when I need it (gig). I tried to turn down the gain bellow 12 o'clock and it help a little. I play with the bass knob around 8-9 o'clock.

The other part of the answer, I think, is my OD. It's not a a Tubescreamer type; it boost all the frequencies. It sound very good on it's own, but maybe it brings too much bass in the mix. I am thinking about changing it with a SD-1. Cheap overdrive, sound nasal, but cut some bass and sound maybe better in the band mix. Ideally, I could have both; but I like to not have too many effects.
Jazzmaster '58, Jazzmaster '62, Stratocaster '56, Telecaster Pro, Gibson es-175 '59, Gibson Flying V Japan edition, Epihone Elistist Casino.
1967 Vibro-Champ, Tiny Terror HW, AD30HTC
... and a bunch of fuzz

Dark Helmet
Orange Master
Posts: 1067
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:51 pm
Location: Lincoln, NE USA

Re: Bass knob on a AD30tch

Post by Dark Helmet » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:35 pm

Arthon wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:22 pm
I have never played a amp with tha amount of bass!
then whatever you do, DO NOT try a Thunderverb... :lol:
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange
Posts: 6760
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:08 am
Location: Derby, England

Re: Bass knob on a AD30tch

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:41 pm

Arthon wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:11 pm
Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:07 pm
A little extreme maybe but not too usual it has a lot of bass I usually keep my bass control about 10 o'clock....another thing is the volume your using it needs to be wound up to sound at its best.
I think it's part of the answer. I dont play with AD30 very loud. A 15 watts is normally ok with this band, but I like to have the extra juice when I need it (gig). I tried to turn down the gain bellow 12 o'clock and it help a little. I play with the bass knob around 8-9 o'clock.

The other part of the answer, I think, is my OD. It's not a a Tubescreamer type; it boost all the frequencies. It sound very good on it's own, but maybe it brings too much bass in the mix. I am thinking about changing it with a SD-1. Cheap overdrive, sound nasal, but cut some bass and sound maybe better in the band mix. Ideally, I could have both; but I like to not have too many effects.
A super cheap and great sounding pedal I use with great success with my AD15 is the digitech Hardwire CM-2 tube overdrive. Sort of a tube screamer with flat EQ and independent treble and bass controls.

It's simply a great sounding OD. Not super high gain, but great OD, and works with all my oranges superbly, clean or dirty.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, AD5, PPC212
Past Orange: Orange AD30TC Combo, Tiny Terror

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Arthon
Tiny Terror
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:19 pm
Location: Montréal

Re: Bass knob on a AD30tch

Post by Arthon » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:48 pm

Update...

The problem was my OD. After some test, the best way to achieve a clean, dirty and solo sounds is to use the channel 1 for my dirty sound and put a low-gain pre-amp in front to clean the sound. It's not the better sound out there, but since I play 95% of my time with crunch, I can live with a it-work-but-not-the-best clean sound. So I use a FBM-1 (Bassman-in-a-pedal) to clean my sound. The channel 2 is for lead.

With this setup, the bass can be turn up to 10-11 o'clock. I still found the AD30 to be bass heavy compared to what I am used to, but it's more manageable.
Jazzmaster '58, Jazzmaster '62, Stratocaster '56, Telecaster Pro, Gibson es-175 '59, Gibson Flying V Japan edition, Epihone Elistist Casino.
1967 Vibro-Champ, Tiny Terror HW, AD30HTC
... and a bunch of fuzz

Arthon
Tiny Terror
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:19 pm
Location: Montréal

Re: Bass knob on a AD30tch

Post by Arthon » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:54 pm

Arthon wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:48 pm
Update...

The problem was my OD. After some test, the best way to achieve a clean, dirty and solo sounds is to use the channel 1 for my dirty sound and put a low-gain pre-amp in front to clean the sound. It's not the better sound out there, but since I play 95% of my time with crunch, I can live with a it-work-but-not-the-best clean sound. So I use a FBM-1 (Bassman-in-a-pedal) to clean my sound. The channel 2 is for lead.

With this setup, the bass can be turn up to 10-11 o'clock. I still found the AD30 to be bass heavy compared to what I am used to, but it's more manageable.
New update... Finally, I have return to my first setup. AD30 channel 1 set semi-clean, my SD1 for overdrive and channel 2 for lead. I miss a little bit of the good natural crunch of the channel 1, but the SD1 cut some bass, so its better in the mix. I have tried many boutique overdrive, but I always return to my good old cheap SD1
Jazzmaster '58, Jazzmaster '62, Stratocaster '56, Telecaster Pro, Gibson es-175 '59, Gibson Flying V Japan edition, Epihone Elistist Casino.
1967 Vibro-Champ, Tiny Terror HW, AD30HTC
... and a bunch of fuzz

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests