Just a question!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

northernguitarguy
Tiny Terror

Re: Just a question!

Post by northernguitarguy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:03 pm

There are only three tube manufacturers on the planet. The preference around here and elsewhere seems to be JJ and I think they work fine. I've also tried Tung-Sol, Sovtek, EHX, Shuguang and others that all did the job. Sovtek's might have been the 'worst', but still did not transform the amp. I've also tried Groove Tubes, Ruby's and Mesa Boogie branded tubes, but these are just rebranded tubes already mentioned and also sold at a marked-up price.

Tubes are only one factor, and in the end, your amp is gonna sound similar, regardless of 'brand' (aside from JJ's from Slovakia and Shuguang from China, all others to my knowledge are made by the same company in Russia). What I find is a slight change in performance, i.e. tube breakup or tonal shifts, much of which can easily be compensated for with slight tweaks to the EQ.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:33 pm

Yep it's subjective but I've always found JJs or EHX to work well with my orange amps.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Sootio
Rocker

Post by Sootio » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:02 pm

I prefer Tung Sol or EHX (they're almost identical) because they seem to have some pleasant surprises that JJ's lack. That being said, it's all very subjective and they're affordable, so it's easy to try a few and form your own opinion.

mici88
Tiny Terror

Post by mici88 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:01 am

I put EHX in my RV50 MK1 once, and never looked back. To my ears they add nice grit to Orange tones. Not saying that JJs are bad, I just think that EXH sound better. YMMV.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:54 pm

FYI: Guy was a spammer that copied verbatim another post....

stargazer747
Tiny Terror

Post by stargazer747 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:52 pm

with 5x Orange Terrors, I've only experimented using other tubes with my Dark Terror. Not too long ago, I took out the stock JJs and tried a full set of Tung-sol, then a full set of Sovtek, and then lastly a mixed up set of TAD, Tung-sol, EHX, Mullard, & Sovtek just to hear what tonal variations there were from the one amp. While there was a few things I heard, all good; a bit more gain, or a little more bite, some extra grit, smoothing of any cleans, I truly did not find any major tonal qualities that would make me stick to using those tubes thruout my entire stable of amps. I then swapped the Dark Terror back to the stock JJs and feel they are overall the best tone for these amps, I am sure Orange went thru an arsenal of different ones thru R&D and came to those conclusions.

But I would still entertain using again the ones I tried, they were all tonally the same or slight enhancements and nothing that had me cringe!
Orange Rocker 15 Terror-EVH5150III-Hughes&Kettner-Marshall-Celestion-Jackson-Fender-Gibson-PRS-Laguna-AnalogAlien-Earthquaker-Walrus-CryBaby-MXR-BOSS-EHX-Ibanez-TCE-ZOOM-DiMarzio-ErnieBall-Tortex-Pedaltrain