Boss RC300 Looper in the FX Loop settings?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

leeowensoas1

Boss RC300 Looper in the FX Loop settings?

Post by leeowensoas1 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:37 am

Hey all! So I have a Rocker 15 combo that I just love, but I had a couple questions regarding using my RC300 looper in the FX loop.

1. Is this the best place for the looper? I assume as such since that way the preamp sound is getting captured and recorded, and drum sounds aren't passing through the preamp. I would welcome other opinions.

2. I've read/heard that drum sounds should be played through full-range speakers, and that a guitar amp has speakers that aren't ideal for playing these sounds. Will playing the drum tracks from the RC300 pose any risk of damage to my speakers?

3. The RC300 has an input volume option for instrument, aux, and mic. I'm assuming I should use the instrument input and set the level based on the gain of the preamp, such that it's generally staying below clipping levels. However it also has a master volume. Is there any risk to my power amp section of the amp if I'm cranking that Master volume, I've heard certain boosts in the FX loop can raise the signal level to the point it endangers the power amp.

4. The RC300 has a headphone out. Am I able to use this instead of plugging my output to the fx loop? (AKA silent playing but using the preamp)

Basically, while I'm plenty familiar with the rc300, using it in the loop of my sexy new rocker 15 is new to me, so any advice on dialing in all these different level knobs together would be super appreciated!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Boss RC300 Looper in the FX Loop settings?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:12 pm

leeowensoas1 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:37 am
Hey all! So I have a Rocker 15 combo that I just love, but I had a couple questions regarding using my RC300 looper in the FX loop.

1. Is this the best place for the looper? I assume as such since that way the preamp sound is getting captured and recorded, and drum sounds aren't passing through the preamp. I would welcome other opinions.

2. I've read/heard that drum sounds should be played through full-range speakers, and that a guitar amp has speakers that aren't ideal for playing these sounds. Will playing the drum tracks from the RC300 pose any risk of damage to my speakers?

3. The RC300 has an input volume option for instrument, aux, and mic. I'm assuming I should use the instrument input and set the level based on the gain of the preamp, such that it's generally staying below clipping levels. However it also has a master volume. Is there any risk to my power amp section of the amp if I'm cranking that Master volume, I've heard certain boosts in the FX loop can raise the signal level to the point it endangers the power amp.

4. The RC300 has a headphone out. Am I able to use this instead of plugging my output to the fx loop? (AKA silent playing but using the preamp)

Basically, while I'm plenty familiar with the rc300, using it in the loop of my sexy new rocker 15 is new to me, so any advice on dialing in all these different level knobs together would be super appreciated!
1. Yes. In the loop. That way, you can loop clean or dirty tracks, and keep them that way when you replay them, regardless of which channel you switch to during play back.

2. You should be ok. Be careful, try to not play it to loud, at the 1st sign of speaker break up, lower the volume until it stops, and if it doesn't stop, stop using the drums.

3. No idea how you should use that.... but if you goose the power amp, what you'll get is power amp overdrive. You will know. That warning is appropriate for solid state amp, as you don't want them to be sent into hard clipping, but with a valve power amp, it won't really exceed itself- it will just go In it overdrive. Play with it see what works.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

beninma

Re: Boss RC300 Looper in the FX Loop settings?

Post by beninma » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:38 pm

I don't have an RC-300 but I use a Beat Buddy Mini + Ditto Looper in the FX loop of my Rocker 15.

You are on the right track here.

1) Yes, the FX loop is the right place for the RC-300 unless you were never going to use amp distortion.

2) I doubt you will damage your speakers. Keep the volume reasonable and it should be fine.

3) Just set the volumes appropriately. I usually have my loop volume lower than my guitar/preamp volume and the drums get adjusted to taste... gotta be loud enough for you to feel the beat but not so loud it drowns out the guitar. Like previously mentioned I don't think you want to turn stuff up till it gets distorted from power amp distortion.

4) If the RC-300 has a separate volume control for the main output and the headphone out then I think you could do this. But you can't put the RC-300 in the loop and disconnect the RC-300 from the FX-Return on the amp. IIRC you won't get any sound if you use the FX-Send on the amp but don't return the signal back through the FX-Return.

This is solo practice stuff for me so volume is always kept in check... if you're cranking the amp I think you're going to run into more issues with the drums and/or loops sounding weird if you are running the amp so loud as to go into power tube distortion.