Orange Crush 60 speaker swap

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

johnnyboy

Orange Crush 60 speaker swap

Post by johnnyboy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:31 am

Hi, I'm new to the boards here, looks a good friendly place for Orange chat.

I was hoping to get some info/advice/opinions on swapping out the speaker on the CR60 pro for a different brand and wattage to get a louder, beefier sound for loud gigs when mic'ing up isn't an option. Would this work do you know? The stock speaker is good, I really like the Orange sound, but am wondering if there is more to be gained.

I was hitting Google yesterday and came across a thread on here where this was said "If the CR60C doesn't cut through the mix and you don't really want to carry, say, a 1x12 or 2x12 cab,
you could always just replace the 60w Voice of the World speaker for something with a bit more Oooomph, a 75w Celestion G12T-75, the 100w G12K-100 or maybe even the new Celestion G12H-150 Redback which is some 150w. Even with such high wattage speakers, you'll still be able to jam with it at home but still have more than enough grunt for when you need it."

I'm not a big tech/gear guy so can't know for sure if this would work.

I play in a loud band with another guitarist, hard hitting drums, overdrives and fuzz, quite 90's alt rock/grungey/psych/Mary Chain type affair. I use a Fuzz War pedal which adds a big dollop of noise and volume anyway. I used to have a couple of tube amps before this switch to the CR60 but both were plagued with tube ghosts and gremlins and cut outs and rattles (guess I was just unlucky but when money is tight you go to plan B, a solid sate Orange).

Cheers for any info!

northernguitarguy
Tiny Terror

Re: Orange Crush 60 speaker swap

Post by northernguitarguy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:48 pm

I have no experience with the OC60, but if you like Celestion, a V30 seems like a perfect choice. Great speaker for all types of hard Rock tones.

Of the speakers you listed, I've tried two. The G12T-75 is bottom/top heavy and weak in the mids. The G12K-100 is a very bottom heavy speaker. I have one in a 2x12 and it sounds great with the speaker it's paired with. Not sure I enjoyed it so much when in a 1x12 cab by itself.