Buying an amp for semi-acoustic guitar.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Banned120820

Buying an amp for semi-acoustic guitar.

Post by Banned120820 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:00 pm

I want to buy an amp for my semi-acoustic guitar. Eventually I plan on buying some effects pedals and looping gear etc...

It's not going to be for performances, more for messing around at home.

Anyone got any good suggestions or advice on things that I need to be aware of?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

And How do you play jazz? Like.. I know that it includes alot of 7th chords, but is there anything else to it?

Reason I'm asking is because today we were talking about Jazz at college, and playing it out on piano. But I thought, as soon as I played the piano, that I thought it would be better for me, to learn it on guitar https://bestelectricguitars.reviews/best-jazz-guitars/, as I see my self more as a guitar player!

so.. what is there to know?
Last edited by Banned120820 on Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Buying an amp for semi-acoustic guitar.

Post by bclaire » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:13 pm

Do you already have some semblance of a PA? If you do, a good preamp would be what you need. I'm not a fan of the acoustic amplifiers - I don't think that any of them sound very good.

Over the course of my acoustic career I've had LR Baggs GigPro (OK but I don't feel like it did much), another portable preamp like that (same story), gone direct into PA (sounded very good), then bought an Avalon U-5 preamp, pricey but pretty awesome. I have a couple of PA's, all Turbosound with an Alesis mixer.

I would be lax in not saying that Orange makes an acoustic preamp as well. I tried to try it at NAMM last year, but with the noise level in the hall it was difficult to discern much. You would still need some sort of PA.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:57 pm

Bose L1 or S1 would be my vote (much more versatile than a regular acoustic amp). If you absolutely must have an "acoustic" amp I quite liked the Fishman Loudbox Mini when I had one a few years back.

If you just want a preamp/DI to run into an existing PA, then check out the Radial AC-Driver. Lots of handy features in a compact foot print.

GL.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:58 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:57 pm
Bose L1 or S1 would be my vote (much more versatile than a regular acoustic amp). If you absolutely must have an "acoustic" amp I quite liked the Fishman Loudbox Mini when I had one a few years back.

If you just want a preamp/DI to run into an existing PA, then check out the Radial AC-Driver. Lots of handy features in a compact foot print.

GL.
Not a fan of Bose personally (even though the factory is in the next town over and I have friends that work there) so I bought the Turbosound Inspire IP2000. Amazing sounding. Actually bought two of them... ;-)

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:37 pm

I've got an L1M2B2 and its outstanding. Guess that's why we have an over abundance of options. Something for everyone.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:37 pm
I've got an L1M2B2 and its outstanding. Guess that's why we have an over abundance of options. Something for everyone.
Bose has come a long way from the time it was known as "no highs, no lows, just Bose"