Opinions on Orange amps

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Disha

Opinions on Orange amps

Post by Disha » Fri May 31, 2019 8:58 am

I am in the market for a new amp to upgrade from my Line 6 Spyder 3. was at Guitar center and it was hard to not see the Orange line up.
got to asking the guys at Guitar center about them and they gavethem great props for being good amps.
the one i am looking at is the Crush 35RT for $260
what are your alls opinion on the Orange amps
visit my page

Vanilla Latte

Re: Opinions on Orange amps

Post by Vanilla Latte » Fri May 31, 2019 11:55 am

I gig a CR60 Pro and love it. If you can afford getting the CR-60 instead of the CR-35 I would go for it instead, because it is loud enough to get above a loud drummer.....and will effortlessly handle any band situation.

There are differing opinions for juicing up the front end. Orange recommends the Fulltone OCD if you are looking for a transparent OD pedal (ie more gain without losing the signature Orange tone). Lot's of OD drives that work with the amp though, and you will hear a lot of differing opinions up here.

GL with your purchase!

beninma

Post by beninma » Fri May 31, 2019 7:37 pm

We have a Line 6 Spider III in our "jam room" at the office and I have used the Crush 35 in practice rooms.

No question the Crush 35RT sounds hugely better. It is way less fiddly and annoying too. You turn the knobs and the amp settings reflect the positions of the knobs and do not change until you move the knobs, even if you change the channels.

The whole thing with the Line 6 changing the settings when you switch channels drives me nuts.

Only thing is the 35RT is definitely a louder more powerful amp. If you're constantly trying to play really quietly it might not sound as good. The 35RT is loud enough to play with a drummer in my experience.

stargazer747
Tiny Terror

Post by stargazer747 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:37 am

Did somebody say they're interested in an Orange Amp? Go for it, whatever the model, you won't be disappointed. Take it from someone who owns 5x Orange Terrors! I was sold the first time I heard one, a Dark Terror at GC thru a Marshall 412. It was sheer tonal nirvana. Had to get one, and then 4x others! They all take pedals really well if you're a pedal junkie like me. I run my amps thru cabs of Celestion Vintage 30s & 70th Anniversary speakers, just that pure classic British crunch tone.
Orange Rocker 15 Terror-EVH5150III-Hughes&Kettner-Marshall-Celestion-Jackson-Fender-Gibson-PRS-Laguna-AnalogAlien-Earthquaker-Walrus-CryBaby-MXR-BOSS-EHX-Ibanez-TCE-ZOOM-DiMarzio-ErnieBall-Tortex-Pedaltrain

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:01 pm

Vanilla Latte wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 11:55 am
I gig a CR60 Pro and love it. If you can afford getting the CR-60 instead of the CR-35 I would go for it instead, because it is loud enough to get above a loud drummer.....and will effortlessly handle any band situation.

There are differing opinions for juicing up the front end. Orange recommends the Fulltone OCD if you are looking for a transparent OD pedal (ie more gain without losing the signature Orange tone). Lot's of OD drives that work with the amp though, and you will hear a lot of differing opinions up here.

GL with your purchase!
+1

The CR60 is a pretty good amp!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

beninma

Post by beninma » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:58 pm

Yah I mean really, this is an Orange forum, the only opinion here is that the amps are awesome. :D

I've had my Rocker 15 a little over 2 years now and I still feel like I need to pinch myself sometimes.

darkscience

Post by darkscience » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:18 pm

Put me in the same camp as the guy who bought 5 terrors.

I randomly bought a CR20 thinking it was a cheapo practice amp, (I did not know anything about orange at the time), and was flooooored when I cranked it. It sounds incredible! Not I want 1 of each model!

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:00 pm

I've loved my oranges, but I've never gotten along with the crush series. Have you considered buying used. Not sure what your budget is or what tone you are going for, but there are some reasonably priced second hand chinese tube amps worth looking into. The used orange valve stuff is just a bit more expensive. The below are worth looking into:

Marshall DSL 20 or DSL 40
Peavey 6505 MH
Jet City JCA22 or JCA50

You could definitely try out the Marshalls at GC and then look on Reverb or Facebook marketplace for used ones.
Monty

Denis

Post by Denis » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:47 pm

I Have owned so many amps since 1971, the list is way too long. One thing I learned since 2010, you can't go wrong with an Orange. Even the transistors amps are above everything else. For home use, the 35Rt is perfect. And unless your drummer is of the Bonham school of drums, miked the amp through a PA, it does the job. I love it isn't too heavy either. The Crush Pro 60 with its 12" is superior, however, at over 70 years of age, it's too heavy. I'd be pooped before I get on stage. And if there are stairs...Show canceled.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:54 pm

Hey I tried the CR60 once and it was okay. I would say save up for an extra few weeks and grab one of the tube offerings. The Rocker15 would be a good start, or even a tiny terror combo/112 stack can be had pretty cheap on the used market. The Tiny Terror is still my #1 dirty amp after owning it for over 10 years now.