NPD! Boss MD-500

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jondog
Duke of Orange

NPD! Boss MD-500

Post by Jondog » Wed May 29, 2019 12:47 am

Sold my Strymon Mobius a while back and started looking into one again but found these to be a little cheaper so thought I’d give the Boss MD-500 a shot. Reviews have been really good. Only messed around with it a little but so far pretty impressed. I was mostly after the Tremelo, Vibe and Chorus sounds which all sound great and have tons of flexibility. Lots of other fun effects too like the slicer, ring mod and overtone.
Thought I’d put it up against my all analog Boss BF-2 flanger and PH-1r phaser which are from the 80’s. I can get them to sound very similar and while the MD-500 has lots more adjustment capabilities, I have to say the originals sound better which I’m kind of happy about really, gives me another reason to keep them! Theres more warmth and definition on the notes played through the old analog pedals.
The controls on the MD-500 are very simple to use and I had no trouble figuring out how to change a patch without consulting the manual, although I’m sure theres lots I can do I haven’t figured out yet. I keep it for now I think. Really like the CE-1 chorus!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: NPD! Boss MD-500

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed May 29, 2019 2:13 pm

Congrats!!!

Those things are proper sit down and figure out how it all works....

I've been tempted to check those and strymons out.... but I will only do that if by feel the need to go all MIDI. That Would be a real advantage, setting up multiple instantly recallable patches.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute